DEMO GOTA Distortion Supreme-BOSS MD-2 Mega Distortion

This post contains an audio or video demo
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000012523.gif
There aren't many of these left of these analog circuits for me to make and this is one I've wanted to make for a long time. This was like the last original all analog circuit boss made before going full digital or before they started doing the waza craft series of reissues. The MD-2 Mega Distortion was realsed back in 2001 and despite remaining in production the past 20+ years it is often overlooked and misunderstood. This is a great pedal that I'm stoked to have built. Anyways, here's wonder wall 🤡

I originally wanted to do this pedal a few years back and like most things, life got in the way. Last year scouring schematics I found a couple and David at EF made a couple boards and even after a few revisions it wasn't functioning properly. Turns out none of the schematics were really right, so I did the least logical thing, I got a cheap used one and tore it apart and traced it myself. 1000012485.jpg
This is a rather complex circuit that uses a topology I haven't seen in a distortion pedal before. It's a clean boost running into a mid focused high gain distortion that has a hearty bass boost available. Imagine pushing a DS2 with a lpb-1 and adding a bass boost, that's sort of what it reminds me of. There are so many tonal options that this is not just a one trick pony. Lower the drive and push the boost for more of a QOTSA power amp distortion type sound. Push both for a fuzzed out super saturated tone. Raise the bass and really make it doom or make it lean and mean. It has a great mid forward character to the drive and I don't think people ever learned how to use it or were misinformed on what it was.

For the enclosure I went with a tayda matte violet box with UV print. For my design I used Clea, the sorceress supreme. For my sound clip I tried to demonstrate just what this can do. The pedals gain, boost and bottom controls are all at around 1 o'clock and the tone was around 11, so lots of range still on the knobs. This thing transformed my little vibro champ and SG into a monster.
1000012513.jpg 1000012515.jpg 1000012516.jpg

That's a sexy little bugger there.
tenor.gif

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Thanks Dave, It was a fun rewarding process.

Absolutely top-shelf build (as always!).

I had the actual Boss MD-2 not too long ago. I had high hopes for it as a kind of higher-gain swiss army knife, i.e. something to make with a flexible low to medium gain drive/boost, which together with the MD-2 would allow for a lot of ground to be covered. I never got excited about the tones I was getting out of it, and in a moment of clutter-anxiety, I sold it.

Now seeing your build and hearing your demo, I kind of wish I'd kept it, at least a little longer!

Have you (or anyone else) tried using it live/in a band mix? I'm wondering if that mid-forward boost would help it sit nice in the mix (which I find hard to achieve with high gain/distortion).

See also: Guitar Pedals Visualized: Boss MD-2.

View attachment 75020

Excellent build! This has so many unrealized iconic tones! I love these under the radar circuits you chase. Well done man.
Thanks Rob. This is a really good pedal and a sleeper for sure.
Hats off, sir!
High Praise as always John🙏
Absolutely top-shelf build (as always!).

I had the actual Boss MD-2 not too long ago. I had high hopes for it as a kind of higher-gain swiss army knife, i.e. something to make with a flexible low to medium gain drive/boost, which together with the MD-2 would allow for a lot of ground to be covered. I never got excited about the tones I was getting out of it, and in a moment of clutter-anxiety, I sold it.

Now seeing your build and hearing your demo, I kind of wish I'd kept it, at least a little longer!

Have you (or anyone else) tried using it live/in a band mix? I'm wondering if that mid-forward boost would help it sit nice in the mix (which I find hard to achieve with high gain/distortion).

See also: Guitar Pedals Visualized: Boss MD-2.
Thank You. I wouldn't use it for low gain, maybe medium/high gain power tube type distortion at low but this wants to be pushed. I think like all things, the gear used will lead to different tones and results. I have used it in recording, and in a band mix that way I had no issues in that context. Minimal standard EQ clean up that's all. I don't play out anymore and pretty much only use my 5 watt vintage vibro champ, so I can't attest to stage volume in a live band setting with it.

That riff crushes. I think at this point I've learned about more Boss pedals from GOTA than from the rest of my life experience combined.

That PCB is slick too. I like the I/O & DC portion being up in its own little world. Very visually pleasing.

Back