Valhalla Distortion

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I'm kind of at the point where I've mostly built all circuits I set out to build when I initially started. So, now I'm building what I consider "classics".

In my opinion, The Diezel VH4 amp is one of those. I've never played one but I've heard plenty. One of the first pedal mods I've ever tried was the Diezel mod for the Boss Metal Zone. Turned out crappy but I tried.

Any way this thing sounds great. Does it hold up to some of the more modern distortion boxes? Not really. But I still love it. It's a tad dark with humbuckers and a bit noisy but it still crushes.

Like most pedals with a dedicated power amp out, it sounds better going directly into the amp return. That alone is worth the price of admission. I haven't tried it at 18V yet either.

I ripped off the graphics of the original just because I like them a lot. Water slide decal.

I recommend this one if you are looking for that amp-in-a-box, classic-type distortion.

Attachments

• 20240425_230210.jpg
    20240425_230210.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240425_230219.jpg
    20240425_230219.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240425_230154.jpg
    20240425_230154.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 25
Great build, You definitely need to give this one full voltage. Yes it does works fine at 9v and 12v but hit it with 18v before you make your final decision.

Great build, You definitely need to give this one full voltage. Yes it does works fine at 9v and 12v but hit it with 18v before you make your final decision.
good tip. this one wasn't on my radar but I TOTALLY dig the "build the classics" mentality. at least a third of my builds have been driven by "let's find the magic in this popular circuit." every time I love a pedal or feel meh about it (haven't hated anything so far) I learn about the circuit as much as I can. I'm starting to get to the point where I understand evolutions of classic topologies and what the improvements are. currently toiling away at the CDXXXX chip set...

Back