Power Supply recommendations? (Anything inexpensive and reliable?)

That's some SERIOUS sag!

They have a bunch of really nice, favorably reviewed power supplies b

I have some cheap power supply I got years ago that looks exactly like the harley benton power plant iso-2 pro (mine is branded ‘Vitoos’ but I’ve seen a bunch of different brand names on it). Works real good and I only hear slight switching noise with some of my more problematic noisy amps. Quiet with most stuff. It has three isolated supplies, two with selectable voltage and one that is just a 6-output 9v daisy chain. I have wired them in series for higher voltage before no problem.

I also bought a one spot 9 volt supply to replace a Stagg 9v supply (which was dead quiet in any application I put it in) and the one spot was pretty noisy in some applications which was annoying. Bought another £10 Stagg supply, still quiet. Though I did get another Stagg supply free with a pedal off eBay once and that one was noisy as shit.

I should just bite the bullet and get a Walrus Phoenix ← that's TWO animals!
and stop pretending like I don't take my pedal game seriously.

That or a Strymon or CIOKS.
That's the right move, right? That way I only have to buy it once.

I'm using the ENGL power tap, couldn't be happier. Only downside is that there is only one 500mA output, and i have a couple of circuits with real tubes now, so one more 500mA would have been nice, but it's a great power tap at a reasonable price with lots of outputs, including 9V, 18V and 12V.

That looks like a good one.
I'm seeing a lot of products with the same configuration as the ENGL.

1715729114776.png

The ENGL looks like the basis of a couple of (what I assume are) knock-offs...

1715729195300.png

1715729322301.png

1715729678126.png

Undoubtedly, corners were cut to turn it into a $30 product.

That looks like a good one.
I bought mine in 2020, never had any issues with it. I use it almost every days and unplugg it from the wall outlet once i am done playing music. Sometimes it stays plugged and powered on all day.

I always use every outputs for my endless pedal train, although i don't switch everything on at the same time.

I bought this $27 cheapie. [Hiree brand] I know I'll have to buy a proper quality one eventually.

The fact that it comes with 10 DC power cables makes it somewhat worthwhile even if it doesn't have a long lifespan. (Or it could be used for a secondary pedal board.)

1715735977563.png

It’s not cheap but I love my CIOKS DC-7.

Actually I have a voodoo labs ISO 5 laying around you can basically have @xefned for whatever shipping may cost. I don’t have many of the cables left and it’s not pretty, but if it fits the bill it’s all yours. Might not be enough for your setup.

The unfortunate reality is that a lot of power supplies suck. And they have gotten a lot more expensive of the past couple of years, unreasonably so compared to inflation. Daisy chaining will sometimes work, until it doesn't.

My board is rather complex and requires a decent amount of mA, so i need a good, powerful power supply. About three years ago, i got the palmer PWT 12 mkii and it worked really well! Until i got to the variable voltage taps, then it made pedals with inverters squeal like hell. I'm overrall still very happy with it though, it just requires a consious effort to route things properly.

I recently purchases a half broken CS12 power supply because i needed more outputs hahah. I know the issue with it and am just waiting on an SMD diode from mouser to get it back to full health. I'm pretty sure every complaint online you see of a CS 12 with half of its outputs not working is the fault of one blown diode. It might be worth taking a look at them if you feel comfortable repairing SMD stuff. And are familiar enough with switching power supplies that you won't, like, die when you poke around them. 😂

I have a pretty straight forward rig but a Nova Delay at 12v (I think) and a Line6 MM4. Everything else is normal stuff. I've been using the Dunlop supply and it's done me really solid for years now and it's fairly small with an outboard wall wart (which is a pro or a con depending on your needs).

I recently purchases a half broken CS12 power supply because i needed more outputs hahah. I know the issue with it and am just waiting on an SMD diode from mouser to get it back to full health. I'm pretty sure every complaint online you see of a CS 12 with half of its outputs not working is the fault of one blown diode. It might be worth taking a look at them if you feel comfortable repairing SMD stuff. And are familiar enough with switching power supplies that you won't, like, die when you poke around them. 😂
Wait, can you elaborate on that? Possibly in DM or https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/is-it-worth-trying-to-fix-a-power-supply.21487 so we don't derail this thread more. I've got a half broken CS12 around.

I did buy a EBS Runsten to replace it already, but if I can fix it I can sell one of them off, possibly. The Runsten has been fine so far and has a ton of juice available. I have noticed my Clandestine Preamp is noisier than I remember, but it was just as noisy with a Boss power supply, so either it's unrelated to the Runsten, or having the Runsten plugged in causes the noise for other power supplies too (I noticed having a LED strip plugged in causes noise in pedals too, although LED lights might be noisy in general? Or I have "noisy electricity" which I'm 90% sure is the correct technical term). It's also very nice and small compared to the CS12 because it uses an external power supply.

Wait, can you elaborate on that? Possibly in DM or https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/is-it-worth-trying-to-fix-a-power-supply.21487 so we don't derail this thread more. I've got a half broken CS12 around.

I did buy a EBS Runsten to replace it already, but if I can fix it I can sell one of them off, possibly. The Runsten has been fine so far and has a ton of juice available. I have noticed my Clandestine Preamp is noisier than I remember, but it was just as noisy with a Boss power supply, so either it's unrelated to the Runsten, or having the Runsten plugged in causes the noise for other power supplies too (I noticed having a LED strip plugged in causes noise in pedals too, although LED lights might be noisy in general? Or I have "noisy electricity" which I'm 90% sure is the correct technical term). It's also very nice and small compared to the CS12 because it uses an external power supply.
Yeah no bother mate! If it's a similar problem to mine, it'll be an easy fix (fingers crossed). I'll put the details on that thread when i get home. I think the reason you don't see any documented fixes for it online is that Truetone seems to be good for warranty reapairs.

I should just bite the bullet and get a Walrus Phoenix ← that's TWO animals!
and stop pretending like I don't take my pedal game seriously.

That or a Strymon or CIOKS.
That's the right move, right? That way I only have to buy it once.
Honestly yes. Maybe it doesn't have to be one of those brands specifically, but I think with power supplies it really is worth it to buy something that is a higher quality and to not try to cut corners budget wise. I use CIOKS to power all my stuff and have never had any issues (both with the supplies themselves or with having enough power to run whatever I want to throw at them). It's definitely more of an investment upfront, but I don't think I'll ever have to worry about a power supply again.

Honestly yes. Maybe it doesn't have to be one of those brands specifically, but I think with power supplies it really is worth it to buy something that is a higher quality and to not try to cut corners budget wise. I use CIOKS to power all my stuff and have never had any issues (both with the supplies themselves or with having enough power to run whatever I want to throw at them). It's definitely more of an investment upfront, but I don't think I'll ever have to worry about a power supply again.
Exactly. Especially after investing thousands of dollars in pedals or parts, why cheap out on the PS that they all plug in to?

I bought this $27 cheapie. [Hiree brand] I know I'll have to buy a proper quality one eventually.

The fact that it comes with 10 DC power cables makes it somewhat worthwhile even if it doesn't have a long lifespan. (Or it could be used for a secondary pedal board.)

View attachment 75102
I have one of those. I have no issues. That polarity awitching cord has came in handy as well.

I look at power supplies as the cheapest you can get doe tour needs. I play at home in my music room. My power is fine, so i can go cheap. If i played out and was playing bars built a century ago that originally had knob and tube. Id probably splurge.

Back