DEMO Frost Drive (VFE Ice Cream)

This post contains an audio or video demo

owlexifry

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
this is one of those pedals that i should have built ages ago.
like yep the Maxon ST-9 / ST-01 is my favourite overdrive circuit of all time, but i kinda scoffed that this would be be unnecessarily tweakable / redundant etc., and since i already had an ST-9 clone (+ ST-9pro+) i wasn’t really in a hurry.

but i was wrong.
this circuit is awesome. not redundant.

IMG_4147.jpeg

built this one to vanilla specs. i didn’t want it to be too spicy or overly 'colouring'.
the mint and especially sherbet values make it look like it’s going into distortion territory, cool but not really what i’m after.
i skipped the impedance trim - just jumpered the trimpot and put in a 2M2 at R2 cos i would never use it.

IMG_4168.jpeg

all the wonderful things of the ST-9 with it's crucial mid control, but some nice tweaks, +/- 9V supply, and the addition of those LOCUT and HICUT controls adds this extra dimension of control to shaping the EQ response, in a subtle but delicious manner.

i am converted. i thought the ST-9 was just fine as it is but damn…. this VFE version really made it better.
i think we have a new king.

all you metal nerds (and non-metal nerds) that wanna build a pedal for boosting a dirty amp - this is the one.

demo:
boosting the SLO-100 overdrive channel (vs. Maxon ST-01)

this is going on my board and kicking off the ibanez STL clone that has served very well.
IMG_4150.jpeg

Beautiful :) Great demo. It makes me want to build a SLO to pair with my Mesa Mark V 35 haha. I can’t see the amp settings, what’s the master at? I guess I’m wondering how much the power section is contributing.

Beautiful :) Great demo. It makes me want to build a SLO to pair with my Mesa Mark V 35 haha. I can’t see the amp settings, what’s the master at? I guess I’m wondering how much the power section is contributing.
thanks 🤟🏻

do it. it’s a great amp. it does it all.
keep an eye on rosamp kits, they seem to run out of stock every now and then.

amp settings attached (although OD channel master is turned down in the pic).

being 100W 4x6L6 it’s a seriously loud amp with the OD channel, so probably only had the master at like 8 o’clock or so.
for reference - at most shows and band rehearsals i cant turn it past 9 o’clock, or it’s too loud. my 40W version is the same.
not that it matters, the SLO power amp is designed/intended to be relatively transparent - saturation/drive *mostly* all comes from the preamp.

Attachments

• IMG_4180.jpeg
    IMG_4180.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 7
Thank you for the insights and run down! Sounds like the 30 watt version might be the best match for me. I’d likely pair it with a Suhr reactive load and OX Stomp like I do my Mark V. The only shows I play are for my cats and dog haha.

Thank you for the insights and run down! Sounds like the 30 watt version might be the best match for me. I’d likely pair it with a Suhr reactive load and OX Stomp like I do my Mark V. The only shows I play are for my cats and dog haha.
no worries 🤙🏻
there’s a few build threads of the 30W version on here that some folks have done.
no doubt it would sound just as saturated and aggressive. still has 2x6L6GC power section so that’s good.

Back