Appetizer Problem

johnmacdonald

Hey everyone- first time builder- everything seem pretty decent- finished the job and plugged it in to have the LED work- clean sound on bypass but and awful noise when I engaged the pedal.. I made an audio probe and I have sound right up til I touch the center post of the first b100k pot, and there we hear an awful squeal...could this be a bad pot??

Post some clear pics of your board. Both sides if you can. I’d start by running through all the resistors and caps and make sure the color bands and cap codes match up to the values that are supposed to be there.

Bad pots are possible, but mis-placed resistors are much more common.

Here's what I have with me now- I tried resoldering the b100 pot after I posted this- audio probed again and had sound right to output, but this time the pots had 0 effect on the tone... very confused!

Attachments

• 20240716_132804.jpg
    20240716_132804.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240716_104925.jpg
    20240716_104925.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 12
You have sound up to the output Jack but no output, need to check your jack wiring. Hard to see in the photos where that ground goes. Is that a switched jack?
If so, and wired wrong, that may be the problem.
If not, and wired wrong... Also a problem

You have sound up to the output Jack but no output, need to check your jack wiring. Hard to see in the photos where that ground goes. Is that a switched jack?
If so, and wired wrong, that may be the problem.
If not, and wired wrong... Also a problem
Very hard to get a pic of the jacks- I believe they are switched. I have the ground wired to tbe sleeve and ins and outs wired to the tip of each jack.. nothing on the other lug. Still have sound when bypassed, no noise at all, but as sound as I engage the effect it's a racket. I found a misplaced resistor but still just a loud buzz when I turn it on that gets worse as I move the gain pot

Everything else seems to be the right values... if it was a problem with the jacks would I still get such a good clean signal in bypass?
Good bypass signal means you got the tip terminals correct, and they’re connecting through the stomp switch. That’s good. You could possibly have the grounds wrong. I can’t tell from the pics.

Back