aion dz4 problem

gksdud2707

IMG_1470.jpeg IMG_1471.jpeg

Hello, I assembled my aion dz4 and tested it before putting it in the enclosure. (Because it is a test, the length of the in and out wires is long)

Below are some problems I encountered

1. If the guitar is not connected, it makes a whistling or squealing sound.

2. When the guitar is plugged in, it works normally, but there is an annoying noise in the background. (I tested it side by side with my vh4-2)

3. When I touch the gain and treble pot, it makes noise or whistles.

Is there a problem with my assembly? Or should c3, c5, c9, c12, c21, c23 be replaced with electrolytic caps like valhalla?

Last edited:
Some of the background noises you are getting may be due to the effect not being in an enclosure that would shield it. If you already have a drilled enclosure, install the board and see if that helps.

Are you planning to leave the daughterboard connected to the main board? Or just avoiding the post-partum separation?

Some of the background noises you are getting may be due to the effect not being in an enclosure that would shield it. If you already have a drilled enclosure, install the board and see if that helps.

Are you planning to leave the daughterboard connected to the main board? Or just avoiding the post-partum separation?
Once we have completed the enclosure we will remove the boards.

When I touch the shafts of the gain and treble pots, I hear noise or whistles. Can I put them in an enclosure?

If the pedal is working with the sound and controls the way you think it should (aside from those noises), then I think your next step is to see if the noises go away (or get much better) when the project is inside the closure. Even the noise you get when touching the shafts may be because the pots are not grounded to an enclosure.

When I touch the shafts of the gain and treble pots, I hear noise or whistles. Can I put them in an enclosure?
Putting it in the enclosure will ground the pots and may make the noise go away. It shouldn't matter if your circuit os properly grounded, but the enclosure will act as a shield. Sometimes when you touch an ungrounded pot, you can vary the resistance, which can have odd effects. Grounding the pot to the enclosure should recuse or eliminate this effect.

I had whistling on my Aion dz-4 when testing. I even clipped the in jack sleeve to enclosure for ground. Nothing doing.

It all disappeared when I actually installed it in the enclosure, so I third the recommendation to try to box it.

Some background noise is pretty normal for high gain preamps, I've found, since you are amplifying the heck out of your signal and any hum, crackles, and random EM interference it might be picking up.

No idea on the electrolytics vs. Film. It's just build both and keep your favorite child. That way, you can also report back here with a comparison!

Back