V1.3 Triangle Big Muff Fuzz

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Built this for a friend. He asked for all the bells and whistles. Dual clipping stages with toggles, a bright toggle and an input level control. Used 2n5088 transistors and it’s a monster! I’m calling it a V1.3 because we used the version that uses 3uf coupling capacitors. And even though it sounds like it would have a ton of bass it’s still surprisingly balanced.

Attachments

• A918DB13-4818-4B43-AD97-9C9CEA023DA2.jpeg
    A918DB13-4818-4B43-AD97-9C9CEA023DA2.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 64
  • E2B06FAE-FAE8-461C-975A-8CCB76F261F9.jpeg
    E2B06FAE-FAE8-461C-975A-8CCB76F261F9.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 64
Very cool-looking control arrangement for the 3 switches amidst 4 knobs, and aesthetically-pleasing guts too.

I've been wanting to build a version using 3µF, too.

What size of clipping caps did you use, did you stick with the stock 3µF?
Was it built for guitar or with bass-guitar in mind?

Built this for a friend. He asked for all the bells and whistles. Dual clipping stages with toggles, a bright toggle and an input level control. Used 2n5088 transistors and it’s a monster! I’m calling it a V1.3 because we used the version that uses 3uf coupling capacitors. And even though it sounds like it would have a ton of bass it’s still surprisingly balance

Just out of curiosity: What is the input level control doing that the sustain control isn’t already doing?

Just out of curiosity: What is the input level control doing that the sustain control isn’t already doing?
It pushes the input harder because because the potentiometer replaces R1. I also made it 100k so it can also cut a little of the input as well. But it screams when pushing it harder. I think I like it more than putting a boost in front of it. Two different things though.

Very cool-looking control arrangement for the 3 switches amidst 4 knobs, and aesthetically-pleasing guts too.

I've been wanting to build a version using 3µF, too.

What size of clipping caps did you use, did you stick with the stock 3µF?
Was it built for guitar or with bass-guitar in mind?
Thanks. Took me a while to settle on this layout because it's near impossible to put toggles under pcbs. It was built for guitar. He wanted to slam his Marshall stack with it. I used 3uf for all the coupling capacitors including the clipping stages. It's a beast but still well balanced tone.
When you build it try removing the clipping from the first stage and push the sustain. I found it on an old colorsound supa tonebender schematic and it gets nasty!

Nice job man! Gives me some great ideas for some mods to do this weekend to play around with. I literally covered that entire board in sockets, so I can switch out any component. I can't remember what exactly I did, but I blended together 3 different Muffs circuits into one, to shape the tone for my style of play.

Back