NYC Big Muff Pi to D.A.M. Dope Priest

ICTRock

I got my new in box NYC Big Muff and traced it out for modding it to an Emanating Fist/D.A.M. Dope Priest based on the layout from tagboardeffects. Because knowledge likes to be free, I'll share the recipe here.
PCB was marked EC3003 Rev F ... the weirdest part of these newer NYC Big Muffs is C16, which is a 2u2 coupling cap between the second fuzz stage and the tone stack.
Parts numbers come from the silkscreen, most of which are also clearly marked with parts values.
Resistors:
R1 change 560R to 1K
R2 change 39K to 33K
R4 change 2K2 to 2K7
R5 change 27K to 33K
R8 change 27K to 33K
R10 change 120R to 150R
R16 change 120R to 150R
R22 change 120R to 470R

Capacitors:
C1 change 1u to 100n (50V electro)
C2 change 1u to 100n (50V electro)
C3 change 470n to 100n (50V electro)
C4 change 470n to 100n (50V electro)
C5 change 1u to 100n (50V electro)
C7 change 2u2 to 1u (50V electro)
C9 change 3n3 to 4n7 (ceramic)
C10 change 470p to 560p (ceramic)
C11 change 470p to 560p (ceramic)
C12 change 470p to 560p (ceramic)
C13 change 1u to 100n (50V electro)
C16 change 2u2 to 0R (jumper)

Potentiometers:
P3 change 500KA to 100K (Dope Priest taper is linear, I went with audio because smallbear)

Oh and because someone will wonder, there's only two kinds ... big ol good ones and good ol big ones. I want that ridiculous bastard taking up board space.

Dude, this is cool, thanks for putting this out there. I love Muffs and I didn't know this was a thing. It sounds great in the demo I watched. Now I want to see if I can build one on a PPCB Muffin

Dude, this is cool, thanks for putting this out there. I love Muffs and I didn't know this was a thing. It sounds great in the demo I watched. Now I want to see if I can build one on a PPCB Muffin
that would be cool. I tried the dope priest on vero but something was amiss and it didnt work. I dont have the energy to troubleshoot vero. But if it could be built on a PPCB that would be rad

that would be cool. I tried the dope priest on vero but something was amiss and it didnt work. I dont have the energy to troubleshoot vero. But if it could be built on a PPCB that would be rad
Welp, I did a Google search for the Vero layout and stumbled upon our good Samaritan @cdwillis already did the work on this via a Reddit post. Attached is the gut shot and the updated Muffin schematic. Thanks @cdwillis

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231228_095110_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228_095110_Chrome.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 73
  • hNCk4Lo.png
    hNCk4Lo.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 78
I mentioned it in the reddit post I think, but I used linear 100k pots for all three spots. The Vero layout said the DP used logarithmic taper 100ks on the sustain and volume, but I'm not sure that's accurate.

I mentioned it in the reddit post I think, but I used linear 100k pots for all three spots. The Vero layout said the DP used logarithmic taper 100ks on the sustain and volume, but I'm not sure that's accurate.
that's purely a taste thing. as sure as God's got sandals someone will complain that there's not enough volume if you use the audio taper or that there's too much if you use the linear because we hear with our eyes. I think linear is more appropriate for the sustain control and necessary for the tone control ... anything is better than the 500K volume pot in the current big box muff.

I've used audio taper on the sustain pot one some higher gain Muffs and liked it. Adding a bright cap on the sustain pot is a cool mod too. I just don't like audio taper on the volume control because there's not that much volume output usually. It's easier for me to dial in with a linear taper. Like you said it's personal taste.

Weren't there various versions of the Dope Priest? 4, maybe? Can't remember.
Anyone know which Rev is illustrated here?

Weren't there various versions of the Dope Priest? 4, maybe? Can't remember.
Anyone know which Rev is illustrated here?
It looks like the DP-77, which is based on the 1977 Guild Foxey Lady. My recollection is that there's also a DP-70 that's based on a Triangle muff and a DP-90 that's based on one of the Sovtek muffs. I don't think I've seen anyone trace/clone the '70 or '90 versions, but I'd be interested in seeing the component values if anyone did.

It looks like the DP-77, which is based on the 1977 Guild Foxey Lady. My recollection is that there's also a DP-70 that's based on a Triangle muff and a DP-90 that's based on one of the Sovtek muffs. I don't think I've seen anyone trace/clone the '70 or '90 versions, but I'd be interested in seeing the component values if anyone did.
There’s a 77 Foxey Lady?…

There’s a 77 Foxey Lady?…
I thought that they were discontinued earlier, but apparently David Main/D*A*M said that "the core circuit influence [for the DP-77 Dope Priest] is my slowly decaying 1977 Guild Foxey Lady, though this time the circuit blue print is tailored to my own ears and tastes rather than just replication."

There's the Dope Priest DP-77 then there's the XB-70. From what I've read XB-70 was the clone of the Foxey Lady while the Dope Priest was the version he tweaked to his taste. I built clones of both versions and liked the Dope Priest a little more. The XB-70 was cool and more typical Muff sounding to me.

During the onset of Covid I did the same for the GPCB-board that has all the mod-cons...

View attachment 64414

I think I'd add a toggle-switch to the clipping caps, C6 and C9 here (C5 & C8 on CDWILLIS' schematic), so I can switch between the Dope Priest's 1µF and a more bass friendly Russian 0µ047.
So, this can be done for this board? https://guitarpcb.com/product/big-muff-pi-muffn/
Just want to make sure that's what you are referencing. I have a couple of those boards and I may build a DP 77 on one if so.

btw tayda parts arrived yesterday and I can report the posted recipe is confirmed

EDIT
OH I forgot to mention, if I were to name this project it would be "Purple Pants" ... like the Incredible Hulk wears because to me it sounds like a perfect blend of green russian and violet ram's head.

Last edited:
I got my new in box NYC Big Muff and traced it out for modding it to an Emanating Fist/D.A.M. Dope Priest based on the layout from tagboardeffects. Because knowledge likes to be free, I'll share the recipe here.
PCB was marked EC3003 Rev F ... the weirdest part of these newer NYC Big Muffs is C16, which is a 2u2 coupling cap between the second fuzz stage and the tone stack.
Parts numbers come from the silkscreen, most of which are also clearly marked with parts values.
Resistors:
R1 change 560R to 1K
R2 change 39K to 33K
R4 change 2K2 to 2K7
R5 change 27K to 33K
R8 change 27K to 33K
R10 change 120R to 150R
R16 change 120R to 150R
R22 change 120R to 470R

Capacitors:
C1 change 1u to 100n (50V electro)
C2 change 1u to 100n (50V electro)
C3 change 470n to 100n (50V electro)
C4 change 470n to 100n (50V electro)
C5 change 1u to 100n (50V electro)
C7 change 2u2 to 1u (50V electro)
C9 change 3n3 to 4n7 (ceramic)
C10 change 470p to 560p (ceramic)
C11 change 470p to 560p (ceramic)
C12 change 470p to 560p (ceramic)
C13 change 1u to 100n (50V electro)
C16 change 2u2 to 0R (jumper)

Potentiometers:
P3 change 500KA to 100K (Dope Priest taper is linear, I went with audio because smallbear)

Oh and because someone will wonder, there's only two kinds ... big ol good ones and good ol big ones. I want that ridiculous bastard taking up board space.
For C1 to C7 did you use electrolytics or switch them over to film caps? Also I noticed the layout by cdwillis has two 1uf electrolytics. One connected to each pair of diodes. Is there only 1 in your layout?

Last edited:
For C1 to C7 did you use electrolytics or switch them over to film caps? Also I noticed the layout by cdwillis has two 1uf electrolytics. One connected to each pair of diodes. Is there only 1 in your layout?
I strongly encourage you to reread my initial post. After you've done that, take five minutes to think about it, then reread it again. If you still have this question after doing that, me answering your question isn't going to solve the root problem.

I strongly encourage you to reread my initial post. After you've done that, take five minutes to think about it, then reread it again. If you still have this question after doing that, me answering your question isn't going to solve the root problem.
I did read your post. That's why I'm asking. I'm not an electronics genius. I know enough to do mods and basic stuff. I'm here to learn like everyone else. In the future I'll make sure not to comment on anything you post seeing as you obviously don't want to be bothered. Thanks for "keeping the knowledge free" and insinuating I'm an idiot too. 👍😂

I did read your post. That's why I'm asking. I'm not an electronics genius. I know enough to do mods and basic stuff. I'm here to learn like everyone else. In the future I'll make sure not to comment on anything you post seeing as you obviously don't want to be bothered. Thanks for "keeping the knowledge free" and insinuating I'm an idiot too. 👍😂
Post #1
1000003819.png

Back