Compulsive/ generated need buying from Das Musikding: was a mistake?

I will report my results in a proper post, but all was well! Pedal is working and sounding sweeet mm mm. My former Amt Vx clean tube preamp really pales, being really selective on the drive pedals.
Components were all correct (I was a bit skeptical with the high voltage capacitors, they are tiny compared to other HV’s I’ve worked in the past) but they just work. Bass response is huge! I see why bassists love this pre. Well that! I might change the tittle of my post, go and trust Klaus, he takes a bit of time but knowing is a one man operation, it is fair to wait for a functional and complete kit. I would just “complain” on a very slight misalignment on the holes for pots and jacks, but is very tinny to really say it affects the position of the box. I’ve noticed that he supplied a much better NE555p that what I could have obtained locally, I wonder now if the ones I buy here are actually fakes bought on aliexpress or something like that.

Anyways, I’m a happy man right now. Thanks again forum!

I've received the King Nothing kit from Klaus today and everything was included and correct except the J201 which was a fake (NPN not JFET). I've had more occasions where he's send fake JFETS. I measured some that I had and used a 2n5485 that was close to the specs of J201s (as mentioned in the JFET Shootout thread by Chuck). Would be better if he would send SMC with adapter and not through hole which are often fakes.

I've received the King Nothing kit from Klaus today and everything was included and correct except the J201 which was a fake (NPN not JFET). I've had more occasions where he's send fake JFETS. I measured some that I had and used a 2n5485 that was close to the specs of J201s (as mentioned in the JFET Shootout thread by Chuck). Would be better if he would send SMC with adapter and not through hole which are often fakes.
Oh I’m sorry to read that. Well, classic semiconductors are getting scarce and hard to get, insert fake parts. Most parts now are smd so unless there’s a reliable source it will become a need to have smd adapters or something. It’s a shame because those are kind of essential to some of the pedals we love. Even tubes are a bit on the brink of obsolescence.
Pd: I’ve actually bought a batch of Fairchild j201’s knowing that it will become harder and harder to get those, but lately I’ve built a wampler that required some and put those little smd ones and they work well. Though they’re a pain in the back to solder without the adapter

Oh I’m sorry to read that. Well, classic semiconductors are getting scarce and hard to get, insert fake parts. Most parts now are smd so unless there’s a reliable source it will become a need to have smd adapters or something. It’s a shame because those are kind of essential to some of the pedals we love. Even tubes are a bit on the brink of obsolescence.
I meant SMD instead of SMC. :)
I agree about components and tubes becoming harder to source. If you check the limited stock of colored enclosures at Musikding then that's an example of supply issues.

Pd: I’ve actually bought a batch of Fairchild j201’s knowing that it will become harder and harder to get those, but lately I’ve built a wampler that required some and put those little smd ones and they work well. Though they’re a pain in the back to solder without the adapter
Yeah, it's why I am happy to see PedalPCB adds SMD compatibilty to their boards with these now-obscure parts. Though you should try and practice some before doing so on a build, soldering them is quite easy actually...

When ordering one of the pedals below at Musikding, Klaus' BOM actually shows SMD as included components. I think more PCB designers should take obscurity into account and allow both to be installed once availability becomes an issue.

Attachments

• IndianaTweed.png
    IndianaTweed.png
    313.1 KB · Views: 4
  • TweedMan.jpg
    TweedMan.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 4

I am sure Klaus will solve the issue with adapters? He might be better of playing it safe with these components.

Oh, my first FV-1 (VHS) arrived from Musikding, and the chip didn't come presoldered; quite unexpected! Anyway, once I tie that thing to the board nothing should surprise me anymore. Flux syringe, truly the blood that feeds the iron.

Last edited:
Oh, my first FV-1 (VHS) arrived from Musikding, and the chip didn't come presoldered; quite unexpected! Anyway, once I tie that thing to the board nothing should surprise me anymore. Flux syringe, truly the blood that feeds the iron.
FWIW I would have expected it to not be soldered in, you can specifically pay PPCB to get it presoldered, but that's not the normal expectation IMO.

Howdy everyone! Good news here. My kit from Das musikding has arrived. I’m a happy lad now. I will check the components values to be sure all is good to finish this fella this weekend. Suddenly I want to celebrate in company of a pint. 😁
I'm curious, does the kit come with a pre-drilled enclosure? I didn't know Klaus did that and I certainly don't send him enclosures when I send him boards, but that is awesome if so.

EDIT: also I just realized I should have added SMD pads for the JFET on King Nothing, I'll try to remember to do that on the next revision.

I'm curious, does the kit come with a pre-drilled enclosure? I didn't know Klaus did that and I certainly don't send him enclosures when I send him boards, but that is awesome if so.

EDIT: also I just realized I should have added SMD pads for the JFET on King Nothing, I'll try to remember to do that on the next revision.
Yes, it’s an option to add a drilled enclosure. I’ve had issues with those in the past so I drill my own.

I don't know how convenient Tayda is for those in Europe, but I'm trying to make it easier to get custom enclosures for my projects from Tayda for those interested.

You're going to start a thread in the build reports section, right? 😊
Sure, but i need some time to sit and write hehe

As far as i know Klaus make them by request upon a charge to include the drilling. It was fine, maybe a millimeter unprecise, but everything fitted. Great kit btw! I like at least 3 times more my sound now. I have a half dead supersonic pcb tho, but I've read somewhere that you will make an improved design 🧛‍♂️ i guess i will wait and GAS for one from now on haha!

FWIW I would have expected it to not be soldered in, you can specifically pay PPCB to get it presoldered, but that's not the normal expectation IMO.
Very true. But I thought, considering the price Klaus would order these pre-installed from PedalPCB. I would think soldering SMD would have been mentioned, because it takes a bit of extra skill. Like a warning / disclaimer or whatever.

I have bought more than 45 kits from Klaus and several more in components for vero/strip board.
If there have been any issues he has been very helpful and serviceable if anything is missing or if it takes longer than expected.
I am very happy with him and would recommend Das Musikding.
Customs and value added tax is a pain. Makes it really hard to buy from the US unfortunately as I live in EU.

Back