Why here? Left turn at Albuquerque

Pauleo1214

20240802_233653.jpg

---

Here is a pedal that has been 15 months in the making. The wiring was completed 15 months ago, and it's another quad-arachnid build. The EEPROMs feature patches from MAS-Effects.

Before I started building this, @Feral Feline suggested the name "Left Turn at Albuquerque." I loved the name because it perfectly captures the pedal's unique and strange capabilities. However, I struggled with the concept art.

Fortunately, @jjjimi84 offered to paint it for me, and he did not disappoint! He hydro-dipped the pedal and knobs in a striking orange, red, and white color scheme that beautifully depicts the hellscape of a hot desert. To enhance the sense of strangeness, there's an alien wandering through the desert, having crash-landed and wondering why, of all places, he ended up in Albuquerque.

Even the inside of the pedal is painted in a hammered black finish to highlight the boards and wiring. I can't recall the exact patches that were programmed into it, but I'll return later with a demo. In the meantime, enjoy the view!

Attachments

• 20240802_233700.jpg
    20240802_233700.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
That @jjjimi84 artwork is AWESOME!
Are the arachnid all in series? Any goal in the patches and their placement in the chain? And most importantly, demo? :)
Great work to all involved!

I have much to add to this post, along with a video.

70225357354__C0E0CEF6-CD0C-4536-8434-6FD7FDB228BB.jpeg 70225356342__121E704D-FBB5-47C3-938A-A7A218186205.jpeg

Here are the pictures of the patches before I stripped that enclosure.

This painting took way too long to complete but I learned so much and the results are really great. Later tonight I will post some pictures and the multiple revisions this went through.

Thank you @Pauleo1214 for your patience and support.

I have much to add to this post, along with a video.

View attachment 79566View attachment 79567

Here are the pictures of the patches before I stripped that enclosure.

This painting took way too long to complete but I learned so much and the results are really great. Later tonight I will post some pictures and the multiple revisions this went through.

Thank you @Pauleo1214 for your patience and support.
It was a great journey and I enjoyed being part of the process! My patience was never tested let alone an issue.

Okay here is a very pic heavy look at this monster pedal. I will have a long video coming out about the entire process and revisions but in the meantime here we go.

This started like most of my pedals, I tape off the sides and spray the primer coats. Once the primer dries, this got a hydro dip (with a kit from amazon) and a thick gloss coat. Then once the digital design ideas were concluded, I sketched the design and painted the desert in flat tan as a base coat.

Then using various flat colors, the desert was colored in and the road was started. Again using flat blacks and grays to create an old road effect. Using flat colors against the glossy background has a neat effect. The space ship is also glossy along with the monster. The ooze effect onto the logo was a late addition but i was feeling it.
IMG_3163.jpeg IMG_3167.jpeg IMG_3164.jpeg

With the thick gloss coat the bubbles are almost in the sky with a 3d ish effect.

IMG_3171.jpeg IMG_3174.jpeg

Each knob was taped off and dipped individually and then clear coated. With the tape off, I painted the ring around the bottom. This was another way to have the poison bubbles.
IMG_3170.jpeg

Okay, I should have said this first…

The idea was the alien crashed and its air is like poison to our atmosphere. The knobs and little bubbles are bringing this poison to our atmosphere!!!! Cover your mouths! Okay back to editing….

Attachments

• IMG_3173.jpeg
    IMG_3173.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 0
@jjjimi84 first you got me started on the hydro dipping kit, which has saved SO much time from all the hand painting I did. Can't believe I never thought to dip the knobs?!?!

Just amazing work you guys!

@Pauleo1214 if you need to go out even deeper into the universe (4 Archnids to 8!!!!), I have a few pcbs left to split the EEPROM into two using a dpdt.........

@jjjimi84 first you got me started on the hydro dipping kit, which has saved SO much time from all the hand painting I did. Can't believe I never thought to dip the knobs?!?!

Just amazing work you guys!

@Pauleo1214 if you need to go out even deeper into the universe (4 Archnids to 8!!!!), I have a few pcbs left to split the EEPROM into two using a dpdt.........
I tried making a six-in-series arachnid build that worked outside the enclosure. Once I boxed it, everything went wrong. A couple boards started to toast regulators completely and I could never get it to work again. That build was part of the reason why I took a pedal sabbatical.

I am at the point where I am kinda/sorta back into it.i made three singular pedals in 1590a enclosures with top jacks. I am planning a country themed combo build that will have a dumble style circuit into a compressor into a boost next.

Back