Deciding on first amp build

I have an extra copy of The Guitar Amp Handbook by Dave Hunter. If anyone is interested I would like to pass it along to anyone interested. It sparked my interest in building amps way back when I was in college. I bought a newer edition just cuz i was curious if there was anything new in it.
It has the basics of tube amp circuitry with a strong focus on early fender stuff. It has details in the back of the book to build DIY amp. PM if you are interested. free of charge. I really enjoyed the shit out of this book and would love to pass my extra copy along so if anyone wants it just PM me.
PM sent

@jcpst,12 英寸的 5F2 是一款非常不错的入门级产品,也是一款非常有用的放大器。无论有没有踏板,它都能摇滚!

始终牢记“危险 - 高压”。踏板不会咬人,但电子管放大器可以很容易地夺走你的生命。仔细检查你的工作,尤其是电解液的方向。

仅供参考:我从 1978 年开始修理和制造放大器。我最新的设计和制造是 AMI 的“Dumb Luck”(是的,向 Howard Dumble 致敬),这是一个非常高净空的干净通道,一个 ODS ish 污垢通道,两者都带有混响,塞在 Vibrolux 2x10 Pyle 扬声器中(如图所示)。欢迎随时向我提问。
View attachment 78788
View attachment 78787
so GOOD

Amps are a bit more work than pedals - for one thing lead dress (the way you place the wiring, the way you ground the amp) is critical to getting an amp which doesn't oscillate, hum or make strange noises. But it's not impossible. The first amp I ever built was a 5E3 and it sounded pretty good. Now when I make a 5E3 it sounds a lot better though because I learnt from that first one and every one since.

I would probably recommend a 5E3 as a first build. I built a couple of tweed Champs and never really bonded with them. The main thing with a 5E3 is learning how to bias it properly - it makes a huge difference. And it's a bit of a head scratcher at first but you have this place to help. Most of the time people build a cathode biased amp according to the 1959 schematic and if you do it will most likely sound like mush when you turn the volume past 3. Wall voltages are higher these days than in 1959 so the B+ will be higher. I would highly recommend using a slightly lower B+ PT from MM to help make your amps sound more authentic. But if you don't want to you can still get a great sounding 5E3 by using a higher value bias resistor. You want around 100% plate dissipation for a cathode biased amp. It's not that hard to get dialled in with a DMM and a few values in 5-10W resistors.

One of the best sounding amps I have built is the 5F11 Tweed Vibrolux, and it's not much harder than a 5E3. The amp I play most right now is a Brown Deluxe 6G3. Fabulous tremolo and a big fat sound. I like it way more than any BF Fender I've played. Takes my pedals well.

Back