2-in-1 question - mixing 9v and 18v PCBs

mkstewartesq

So I'm looking to put the PedalPCB XC Phase and the MadBean Current Lover (Electric Mistress) clone) in the same enclosure. Assuming I can source a MN3007 chip, I'd like to run the MP board at 18v for the increased headroom. While I've built several 2-in-1 pedals, previously they've all been 9v and so could run off the same jack with 9v input.

1. Any ideas for a (relative) newbie on how to run both off the same jack here? Ordinarily I would use the PedalPCB charge pump 3PDT board on the MB pedal (set to fixed 18v) but unfortunately the board is an odd shape and on the larger side and barely leaves room for the 3PDT off in the lower corner of the enclosure - so the breakout board will be too large for this application. Since I'm still fairly new at this, I don't know of another way to add a charge pump or other voltage doubler on the MB side (or to use an 18v input and to drop the voltage going to the XC Phase).

2. So let's say that there's no workable way (at least for my experience level). It's a kludge, but I have a couple of unused 18v outputs and some unused 9v outputs on my power supply - if I wanted to take "the long way around" and just put two jacks in the enclosure - one to take 18v for the MB pedal and one to take 9v for the XC Phase), are there any other changes to a standard 2-in-1 wiring I would need to keep in mind, other than of course wiring the 18v jack only to the MB and the 9v jack only to the XC Phase? Or would everything else be pretty much the same (input jack ground running to one board, output jack ground running to the other board, out from one 3PDT running to the in on the other 3PDT, etc.)?

Thanks,
Mike

1. Use the 3PDT charge pump board with the XC bypass switch; wire the 9V (either from the DC jack or the charge pump board) to the XC power input and send the 18V tap to the Current Lover.
  2. Use the MBP Road Rage. Stick below one of the boards and wire up similarly.
  3. Use a 3207 BBD and run everything at 9V.

1. Use the 3PDT charge pump board with the XC bypass switch; wire the 9V (either from the DC jack or the charge pump board) to the XC power input and send the 18V tap to the Current Lover.
OK, that first option is certainly interesting. Thank you.

So, for clarity, I could wire the 9 V jack directly to the XC Phase and also run it down to the breakout board on the XC Phase and then run from the Fixed 18v pad and -DC out on the breakout board over to the Current Lover, roughly akin to what @Robert described in the post I screenshotted below?

Attachments

• IMG_1492.png
    IMG_1492.png
    780 KB · Views: 30
So, for clarity, I could wire the 9 V jack directly to the XC Phase and also run it down to the breakout board on the XC Phase and then run from the Fixed 18v pad and -DC out on the breakout board over to the Current Lover, roughly akin to what @Robert described in the post I screenshotted below?
Correct. You could also use both pads of the DC OUT while adding a jump in the 9V/18V toggle area to fix the output at 18V if that allows for preferable wiring.

You can use the "Fixed" pads at the bottom, they always supply the indicated voltages regardless of the toggle switch setting. No jumper required.
Thank you, Robert. That was the plan based on the advice you gave in the other thread I screenshotted.

Best,
M

What about...

Running the XC at 18v?

You'll have to make sure all caps are rated 35v (or slightly higher), probably change out D2 for a beefier V, do some extra-monkeying on the breadboard to re-bias the JFETs, and compensate for a larger LFO swing, of which I know nothing about it, but you can read up here:

and from the above URL the following was recommended reading:​

The Spaceman Explorer, 6 Stage Phaser, can be run at up to 24v, would it be worth making an 18v Phase 90?

@Robert, @Chuck D. Bones and Mr Phaser-addict himself @jimilee — what say you, gents?

What about...

Running the XC at 18v?

You'll have to make sure all caps are rated 35v (or slightly higher), probably change out D2 for a beefier V, do some extra-monkeying on the breadboard to re-bias the JFETs, and compensate for a larger LFO swing, of which I know nothing about it, but you can read up here:

and from the above URL the following was recommended reading:​

The Spaceman Explorer, 6 Stage Phaser, can be run at up to 24v, would it be worth making an 18v Phase 90?

@Robert, @Chuck D. Bones and Mr Phaser-addict himself @jimilee — what say you, gents?
Really no advantage of running a phaser at 18v. A fet based phaser would have to be heavily modified since every thing is based on voltage. The tonepad Ross phaser can get some crazy sounds with pot increases. The LM13700 chip (ota phaser) looks like it can handle 18v. An 8 stage phaser has some pretty crazy deep sounds. MXR makes one. Tagboard has a layout for one. Lecyric-fx has a 12 stage phaser.

Not sure what these Phasers are based on (FET, OTA, ?), but they're all 18v:

Spaceman Explorer — as mentioned previously, up to 24v!
Catalinbread Many Worlds
Dharma Sound Phaser
XVive V6 Phaser King
Warm Audio Jet Phaser

Back