6 Caps, 1 Switch

sticky1138

I'm building a compressor, and three of the caps can be swapped to make the bass version. Is there a reasonable way to wire all six of the caps to a single external switch to toggle between the two? Has anyone attempted this?

If not, would this be possible with three mini slide or dip switches, maybe soldered to a vero daughter board? I'm thinking those bigger DPDT slides could work, but would take up a ton of internal space.

6PDT seems the maximum when it comes to toggle. But, at 30,- ? 🤷‍♂️ (https://nl.farnell.com/nidec-copal-electronics/et610n13-z/toggle-switch-6pdt-10a-125vac/dp/2854838).

xx.png

I need an 8PDT (was thinking of adding one of these to switch guitar/bass settings on some pedals, which needs to flip 8 components). A slide switch makes a whole lot more sense than a toggle when it comes to such a massive rearrangement of components. The one below comes rather cheap. (https://www.etsy.com/listing/1378625166/slide-switch-8pdt-8-eight-pole-double), but looks to be best for internal use only.

800-907_big.jpg

Then there's these things, which look like a decent solution as well. With some planning might be implemented with an external knob. A button on the side or next to a jack input?

61rNWKqhviL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Love to learn of other solutions as well, so I'll be watching this thread. I'd want to see a daughterboard that uses a spdt or dpdt or something to switch a dozen components at the same time. No idea if such a circuit is even feasable? Moonn has a transistor switch board that fits on a 2PDT. Would adding two to a 4PDT be a solution? (https://moonnelectronics.bigcartel.com/product/why-not-both-transistor-switcher)

moonn.png

Last edited:
I’m not super adept at the finer details of circuit design, but I feel like CMOS switches or some other sort of analog switch IC would be a better choice once you get into switching that much stuff

edit: by 'that much stuff' I mean 6pdt and 8pdt stuff above. with the 3 caps it seems like a 3pdt toggle would be more than adequate

Last edited:
You can probably just use the bass value for later in the signal path and just switch the first couple of caps without much difference. Once you filter out a frequency a couple of times, it's not coming back with a larger output cap.
Again. depending on the circuit.

Shouldn't need more than a 3PDT on-on switch if it's really only the 6 caps. A wire each from where the caps would go on the PCB to the middle lugs of the 3PDT, then a cap from each outside lug back to the PCB. Bass caps all on one side of the switch, default on the other. Might also be possible to put one value each on the board and add the others in parallel for the alternate version. Caps in parallel are the sum of their values. Doing it this way would cut down on the wiring.

3 Caps is all?

Ahh, I refreshed the page and...
Lowpitch has you covered.

Nonetheless, I'll chip in...
I love mods and versatility, so I'd go 3PDT on-OFF-on:

The wire from the PCB goes to the centre-lug of whichever cap/pole you're working on.
One end of the guitar cap goes to the same centre lug.

A bass cap on the lower lug (when the switch is up, it'll be in play with the centre cap) in parallel with the centre cap

A bass-bass cap on the upper lug (switch is down), parallel to the centre cap

For each pole, solder all three free-floating leads of the 3 caps relevant to their pole together then solder a wire back to the board in the respective place of that cap.

You'll have 9 caps total, with switch positions resulting as follows:

UP = BASS
CENTRE = GUITAR
DOWN = BOMBASS-BASSTASTIC

If you go with a 4PDT, you could add another function on the final pole such as swapping in/out a resistor for more or less gain, or another cap somewhere else in the circuit...

WHAT COMP CIRCUIT, Diamond?
Let me know if you want me to whip up a diagram.

This would be the BYOC Mimosa. I swore off all new builds until I finish my backlog, but I recently acquired a Bass VI on the cheap and got baited by the BYOC closing sale.

Back