90k9 resistor vs 91k

The Ball Park Frank resistors are Dale resistors. I think the ones pictured are from the CMF55 series. You see CMF60 (larger/higher wattage) somewhat often as well.

I see no issue with using a 475R in place of a 470R but it's hilarious that it's the one resistor with the value printed on it.

Same to OP of course, 91k is totally fine. Odd to put 90k9 in the schematic if it's not specifically required IMO, but there's no way it is required in any kind of drive pedal.

Odd to put 90k9 in the schematic if it's not specifically required IMO, but there's no way it is required in any kind of drive pedal.
I've just learned that 91k only exists in the 5% tolerance (E24 series), which is kind of obsolete, at least in the lower wattages (unless you're Tayda, I guess?). Nowadays, 1% is pretty standard, and you won't find a 91k in 1% or 2% -- you'll have to "settle" for 90.9k.

Odd to put 90k9 in the schematic if it's not specifically required IMO, but there's no way it is required in any kind of drive pedal.

If the circuit has a 90K9 I'm going to list a 90K9. It's up to the builder to decide.

Sure enough, if I had rounded up to 91K this thread would have gone one of two different ways...

1) So I opened up my original and found that resistor is actually 90K9, not 91K, what gives PedalPCB!?
2) The PCB calls for 91K but all I have is 90K9, can I use this?

You should see what's in some of the Seymour Duncan pedals...

If the circuit has a 90K9 I'm going to list a 90K9. It's up to the builder to decide.

Sure enough, if I had rounded up to 91K this thread would have gone one of two different ways...

1) So I opened up my original and found that resistor is actually 90K9, not 91K, what gives PedalPCB!?

Accuracy is an important goal of reproduction. I was messing with one of my amp layouts yesterday and noticed a component was placed at 5.2499" instead of 5.25". Yeah, I had to fix that.....
JCM800 M2203 100W Triagon 031523 lower res.jpg

Last edited:

You're not wrong there lol. This kind of inspires me to go to thegearpage and start a thread about how I found a special batch, made only during 2 weeks of 2017, of Charlie Brown V4s that have a 91k in that spot instead of 90.9k and the 91k's have that special "something" that the 90.9k's are lacking, making them inferior and less musical. My money says that thread grows to 12 pages in the first hour!

Lol, I think I forgot where I was, I didn't realize the OP was talking about a PedalPCB board/schem. Makes total sense if you're cloning something and that's what was in it. I'd do the same.

Back