A Dino-Themed Red Llama

Fingolfen

A little over a year ago I finished up my first clone of the Way Huge Red Llama pedal using the AionFX Yacana PCB. It was a really fun build and is actually a pretty useful little pedal which can be used either as a straight boost or a boost with overdrive (and ultimately distortion). My original enclosure was a very Tongue in Cheek reference to the Disney film The Emperor's New Groove, (see below) but I really wanted a dinosaur version to fit the overall Steggo theme.

Aion Yacana - WH Red Llama - 02.jpg

For this build, I'm using a version of the Red Llama board laid out by South Obolon FX and customized for the Steggo version of the pedal. His version of the PCB is even more compact than the AionFX version (which to be honest has a lot of open real estate). The build instructions also include the values for the Tube Sound Fuzz version of the pedal, but I went with the vanilla Red Llama configuration this time around. This is an easy enough circuit to where I may play around with it a bit for some future builds.

SOFX Red Yamaceratops - 01.jpg

For this build I used all modern components. The resistors are all 1% tolerance metal film resistors from Yageo and KOA Speer. There aren't a lot of them, and most of them gravitate toward the high end of the typical spectrum of resistance values seen in a guitar effects pedal - 100K, 1M, 2M2, and even a 10M resistor. Granted some of these are associated with the alternate gain modes, but it's fairly unique in that respect. The two film capacitors are WIMA, the MLCC capacitors are Vishay and Kemet, and all of the electrolytic capacitors are audio grade Nichicon.

SOFX Red Yamaceratops - 02.jpg

I decided to not use a battery for this particular enclosure, though the art is set up in such a way where I could change it around and move to a battery in any future builds. I'm also using the "Steggo" 3PDT boards laid out by Drunk Beaver Pedals. For this pedal I chose not to use the brightness control for the LED and instead went with a fixed 4.7K Ohm current limiting resistor. As there weren't enough ground connections to attach the two audio jacks and the DC jack to the board individually, I went ahead and used a star ground to the input jack. All of the jack connections are insulated with heat shrink tubing.

SOFX Red Yamaceratops - 03.jpg

For the enclosure, I had to search a while before I found a dinosaur mascot that I could use to create some fun reference to the original pedal. There weren't any obvious dinosaurs beginning with the letter "L" that would work for this pedal, so I decided to go with the Spanish pronunciation of llama ("yama"). Granted the Yamaceratops pronunciation isn't an exact match, but it is close enough to get the reference across.

The sound of the pedal is pretty much identical to my original AionFX build from last year. The normal gain mode gives you a nearly clean boost with additional crunch as you turn the drive knob clockwise. The two alternate gain modes give you a lot of additional gain, but they pretty much render the drive knob inert. It's a fun pedal with an array of uses - especially in combination with other pedals.

A little more at the blog: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2023/04/a-dino-inspired-red-llama.html

Last edited:
Looks great! I like how you use black for the "control panel", I might try something similar at some point.

How do you get the South Obolon FX boards, do you custom order the PCBs yourself? I noticed they have the files available for the PCBs, but I didn't see any way to buy pre-made PCBs. How much does something like that cost?

Looks great! I like how you use black for the "control panel", I might try something similar at some point.

How do you get the South Obolon FX boards, do you custom order the PCBs yourself? I noticed they have the files available for the PCBs, but I didn't see any way to buy pre-made PCBs. How much does something like that cost?
I order them - usually from JLCPCB but there are other sources. The catch is from JLCPCB you have to order at least 5 of them, and shipping isn't cheap - so if you're just looking at getting 1-2 boards for personal use it usually isn't cost effective vs buying from PedalPCB or other sources... but if you need 5-10 of several boards, you can get them down to ~$1/board once you include shipping.

I order them - usually from JLCPCB but there are other sources. The catch is from JLCPCB you have to order at least 5 of them, and shipping isn't cheap - so if you're just looking at getting 1-2 boards for personal use it usually isn't cost effective vs buying from PedalPCB or other sources... but if you need 5-10 of several boards, you can get them down to ~$1/board once you include shipping.
Thanks for the info, I'm probably only going to be building one offs for my own use, but it's good info to keep in mind if I ever feel like trying to sell some.

Back