A Galaxie Far, Far Away????

Fingolfen

So this is my second build of the AionFX Sapphire board. The first one is a vanilla BD-2 Blues Driver, but I decided to go ahead and try out the Galaxie mod as well to compare them. I think I like the Galaxie mod better...

Aion Sapphire Galaxie - SN01 - 01.jpg

It's always a bit disconcerting when you have a board finished to see so many... well... holes in the PCB still open, but that's the way this particular one works. The diodes are all gone, one resistor is gone, two capacitors are gone, and some of the resistors are replaced with capacitors (and vice versa!). You really have to be fairly careful as there are so many substitutions from the base build. Honestly I sort of wish there were just two separate BOMs for the two versions so you don't have to keep referring back and forth. By and large I used all modern components for the resistors (Yageo) and capacitors (WIMA, KEMET, Nichicon) - though there is one Panasonic thrown in for color. I did use genuine through-hole 2SK184-GR transistors rather than the SMD conversions you can get from AionFX.

Aion Sapphire Galaxie - SN01 - 02.jpg

The wiring follows the normal AionFX arrangement with a daughter board and four of the six wires between the main PCB and daughter board populated. I'm still using ribbon cable for these as it seems the easiest route and the hookup wire for the jacks.

Aion Sapphire Galaxie - SN01 - 03.jpg

As this is a Boss clone, it follows my general trend for these in terms of the enclosure art. This is my "new version" of the art with the black field at the bottom to mimic the rubber pad on most Boss pedals and the "Steggo Craft" instead of "Waza Craft". Since this was the "Galaxie" mod, I decided to have some fun and use a "Galaxy Class" inspired name for the pedal.

I will be making at least one more of these for a popular Blue and Yellow benefit (presuming it is still going) with a different enclosure... so stay tuned!

What’s the tonal difference between the two versions?
I've only run it with one guitar and one amp so far. I'd say the Galaxie mod is a little more overdrive, a little less distortion. Maybe a bit warmer sound as well. If you go to the Machine Head Pedals site, the blurb says:

BD-2 Blues Driver GALAXIE Mod If you've been searching for a mod for the BD-2 that plays to it's true strengths, and has tone and gain controls that sound great throughout the entire range, then read on! The GALAXIE Mod was created to:
-Reduce the gain to soften the tones, which gives the harmonics more room to work. You trade some boost for tone.
-Sound absolutely fat and round through the brightest amp.
-Completely overhaul the tonal balance - the tone control becomes completely functional.
-Remove the splat and mush, all the way up to the max gain setting.
-Eliminate any need to go to mimimum tone settings to reduce treble "spikes" and squealing feedback - at most gain/boost settings, 10:00 to 2:00 is usually perfect.

I'm still experimenting to verify the claims, but hey, when I want to play "Limelight" on my Chapman, this pedal gets it pretty close... :D

Back