Steggo's Take on the Harmonic Percolator! (Edit - Now With Albini Mod!)

Fingolfen

When I was first learning to use EasyEDA I wanted a couple of straightforward designs to practice on, so I decided to take a crack at laying out the Harmonic Percolator... with a dinosaur twist, of course!

Harmonic Pelorosaurus - Standard - 01.jpg

I neglected to get a good shot of the PCB before I dropped it in the enclosure, so I went ahead and enlarged the board from the full interior shot of the enclosure. As you can see, the circuit itself is very simple. Only five resistors and eight capacitors. I'm using my normal mix of 1% metal film resistors and film capacitors for the most part. There are a couple of MLCC capacitors for the lower values. The electrolytic capacitors are all Nichicon.

Past that is where things can get a bit weird or exotic for this build as it is a older pedal. I went ahead and added the clipping switch from the AionFX version which allows you to choose between the normal germanium clipping diodes, silicon clipping diodes, or no clipping diodes. The silicon diodes are 1N914, so they're extremely common. The original pedal used 1N695 germanium diodes, but just about any germanium diode should work. I just 1N34A diodes for my test build.

Harmonic Pelorosaurus - Standard - 02.jpg

There are two transistors which can be hard to fine if you try and match the original as well. The original used a 2N3565 transistor, but there are others which can be used here. I had one, so I went ahead and used it for my test build. For the germanium side, the original used a 2N404A. These can still be found, but for my test I had a lot of germanium transistors a friend in Ukraine sent me, so I used a P308 that matched the electrical properties of the original.

The rest of the build was straightforward. I'm using my normal 3PDT daughter board that has the LED CLR and LED on it. I decided not to enable the brightness control. The audio jacks are Switchcraft and I'm using a Lumberg DC jack, but no battery. As normal, the jack connections are all insulated with heat shrink tubing and I'm using aviation grade wire from Tube Depot.

Harmonic Pelorosaurus - Standard - 03.jpg

For the enclosure, I ended up going with the Pelorosaurus - largely because it began with "p" and I could use fairly stylized sauropod art with it. In terms of the sound I've always preferred the "standard" version of the percolator to the Albini mod, though I may be in the minority there. This build sounds pretty much like the original AionFX version I built a few years back - so I'm calling the board a success! I've got some ideas for modifications to the percolator design I want to try, so stay tuned!

Original blog entry (with more preamble and dino facts): https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2024/04/steggos-take-on-harmonic-percolator.html

... and now the Albini mod too!

Harmonic Pelorosaurus - Albini - 01.jpg

This time I did manage to get a reasonably good picture of the PCB before I got everything boxed up - although it has already been tested for functionality. As with the standard version, I'm using my normal mix of 1% metal film resistors and film capacitors for the most part. I was short one metal film resistor, so I substituted in a 5% carbon film one. There are a couple of MLCC capacitors for the lower values. The electrolytic capacitors are all Nichicon.

As this was another test build, I stuck with the 1N34A and 1N914 diodes for the clipping stage. As with the standard build, I pulled a 2N3565 from my stock and used it. The germanium transistor is another of the P308s I had in my stash. I may try them with alternate diodes and transistors in the future now that I know the board is working properly.

Harmonic Pelorosaurus - Albini - 02.jpg

The rest of the build was finished up using the exact same process for the standard version. I'm used the Steggo 3PDT daughter board that has the LED CLR and LED on it. I decided not to enable the brightness control. The audio jacks are Switchcraft and I'm using a Lumberg DC jack, but no battery. As normal, the jack connections are all insulated with heat shrink tubing and I'm using aviation grade wire from Tube Depot.

Harmonic Pelorosaurus - Albini - 03.jpg

The enclosure itself is similar as well, though the waveform behind the Pelorosaurus is a yellow to red gradient instead of purple to red. As these are really just two variants of the same pedal, I didn't see a big need for completely unique enclosure design.

Again the sound is similar to my previous AionFX build, at least on my Katana. Now that I have some better tube amps, I really need to start testing a lot of these pedals on them to get a feel for how they interact with the different amplifiers. In the past I've generally preferred the standard version to the Albini, but that could change depending on the amp.

Original blog entry (part 2!): https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2024/04/harmonic-percolator-double-take-albini.html

Last edited:
This looks great! I've built both the "stock" version and the Albini as well. They're both great, but the standard one sounds more like I expected the circuit to sounds.

Rather than posting a separate build report (though there is a separate blog link) I went ahead and added the Albini mod version of the pedal to the report above! :D

Looks awesome, man! I've got the Percolator on NY short list and am interested to see what you think (original vs Albuni) once used through some amps. How was the graphic done? UV, waterslide?

I only have the Albini version, and initially was not impressed, until I tried it with my one humbucker guitar (Eastman jazz box, only a neck low wind Ken Armstrong) where I dug the additional bloom and bite. A few weeks ago it was on my board and I played my baritone Tele through it, and I have no idea why this didn’t wow me initially. To me, its also a rare pedal that sounds right with both knobs at noon.

As with all your builds—really lovely work.

I had a Barge Concepts BP-1 anyone know if it was a standard or Albini?

Your work looks awesome! Did you enjoy the process of learning EasyEDA? I have been thinking of trying to learn board design. Maybe starting with the 3pdt boards.

Looks awesome, man! I've got the Percolator on NY short list and am interested to see what you think (original vs Albuni) once used through some amps. How was the graphic done? UV, waterslide?

Thanks everyone!!! The graphics are all UV from Tayda. I'm going to take the advice from @Alan W and try it with one of my humbucker... or even my P90 guitar and see what difference it makes through my Marshall and my Vox.

I had a Barge Concepts BP-1 anyone know if it was a standard or Albini?

Your work looks awesome! Did you enjoy the process of learning EasyEDA? I have been thinking of trying to learn board design. Maybe starting with the 3pdt boards.

Don't know about the BP-1, but as for learning EasyEDA - YES - I really enjoyed it. It was the first layout program I used that felt intuitive, and The Tone Geek had a decent tutorial as well that walks you through it using a Blues Breaker as an example (I actually started with something other than a Blues Breaker... I'm bad at following directions, but then went back later and made a few mods to his layout... but that's for a future build report!).

Part 1 is here:

Part 2 is here:

Thanks everyone!!! The graphics are all UV from Tayda. I'm going to take the advice from @Alan W and try it with one of my humbucker... or even my P90 guitar and see what difference it makes through my Marshall and my Vox.

Don't know about the BP-1, but as for learning EasyEDA - YES - I really enjoyed it. It was the first layout program I used that felt intuitive, and The Tone Geek had a decent tutorial as well that walks you through it using a Blues Breaker as an example (I actually started with something other than a Blues Breaker... I'm bad at following directions, but then went back later and made a few mods to his layout... but that's for a future build report!).

Part 1 is here:

Part 2 is here:
Thank you for sharing that I will check that out. Hopefully my personal lack of direction following doesn’t get in the way but it seems like it has worked out well for you.

Back