Abyss - Too Much noise with level knob (Video and Photo)

Thomasyoung

Hi all, Hope you´re doing well,

I am having too much noise with this pedal, when I increase the level knob there is a huge amount of noise/hiss that I am trying to figured out what can be but without any sucess at this time.

Already check the Pot and seems to be ok, (Deoxit D5 applied too) and even applied more solder and clean the joints as well.

My power supply is a CIOKS so it´s not the problem, tested as well with a 9V battery and is the same.
Don´t know if can be the IC TL074 but I don´t have other to test it.

Anyone can help me here? Thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20240418_111742149.jpg
    PXL_20240418_111742149.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 13
Solution
Well I think I know what the problem is now. I was able to reduce the noise in 85/90% or more!

First the power supply Cioks is connected to a Power Line TP-Link that adds lots of noise in some type of circuits. (Fuzzes for Example)
Than the other batteries I was using was too old.
So I connected into a new battery (Duracel Ultra) and voilá the noise dissapeard

I get that about electrical noise- I have my cable modem, multiband WiFi router, and secondary wig router as well as a few computers in the same room as where my amps and fx are. Also on the same circuit branch in the basement, I have a WiFi repeater.
Those cheap Amazon/Aliexprrss/Temu pedal power supplies? No good at all in my place.
Using the TrueTone, it’s as quiet as using batteries. Not sure how much the Furman strip I plug into helps or not, but it’s quiet.

If you are sure that power supply filtering isn’t bad, there are a couple things you could do to help, though- add more filtering to your pedals/power supply lines, or use UPS/BPS to power either the router, the pedals or both- a true UPS doesn’t get power directly from the power line, rather it rectifies the AC, uses that to keep charging a battery, and the output comes from the battery DC and an inverter converts to AC and steps it up to 125v (or 240v, depending where you live)…. As a result it does a great job of cleaning up the power.
Hey @Giorfida Thank you so much for the explanation, I will probaby buy a UPS/BPS, Can you recommend one that will not cost too much ? I just want to "clean" my electricity from the Power Line.

• BTW new update, I´ve ordered a new IC TL074 and the new one don´t make any noise even using the CIOKS PS.
So my understanding is that the old IC TL074 has some issue.

OLD IC: TL074ACN
NEW IC: TL074CN

Hey @Giorfida Thank you so much for the explanation, I will probaby buy a UPS/BPS, Can you recommend one that will not cost too much ? I just want to "clean" my electricity from the Power Line.

• BTW new update, I´ve ordered a new IC TL074 and the new one don´t make any noise even using the CIOKS PS.
So my understanding is that the old IC TL074 has some issue.

OLD IC: TL074ACN
NEW IC: TL074CN

I’ll be honest, it’s been so long since I spec’s out UPS that I’m not even sure what’s out now. Back in the day I was a fan of APC, and I’ve heard the Powerware stuff is good.

Have you tried a Furman line conditioner as well? I know I don’t have the ups (and you see how extreme my environment is). May be enough ($60 solution vs a $600 UPS)

Back