Abyss - Too Much noise with level knob (Video and Photo)

Thomasyoung

Hi all, Hope you´re doing well,

I am having too much noise with this pedal, when I increase the level knob there is a huge amount of noise/hiss that I am trying to figured out what can be but without any sucess at this time.

Already check the Pot and seems to be ok, (Deoxit D5 applied too) and even applied more solder and clean the joints as well.

My power supply is a CIOKS so it´s not the problem, tested as well with a 9V battery and is the same.
Don´t know if can be the IC TL074 but I don´t have other to test it.

Anyone can help me here? Thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20240418_111742149.jpg
    PXL_20240418_111742149.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 13
Solution
Well I think I know what the problem is now. I was able to reduce the noise in 85/90% or more!

First the power supply Cioks is connected to a Power Line TP-Link that adds lots of noise in some type of circuits. (Fuzzes for Example)
Than the other batteries I was using was too old.
So I connected into a new battery (Duracel Ultra) and voilá the noise dissapeard

Having looked at the schematic, I would expect quite a bit of hiss with so many TL07x coming one after the other. They're not the quietest chips, and there's lots of them. I doubt that you're doing anything wrong.
Do you have x-ray vision? :)
I have built this & it is quiet!!!

What did you use to insulate the 2 pots under the PCB?
Yes. Go for the usual suspects first. In case you didn't use something to isolate the throb and rate pots from the soldering pads, put something in between and see if the noise is gone. Any piece of cardboard or a paper folded a couple of times will do the trick.

The video does sound that there's a compressor somewhere in the signal chain, lifting up the hiss in between the warbles. Is it from the amp, or from the phone audio?

What did you use to insulate the 2 pots under the PCB?
I have 2 plastic covers, pots are not touching the PCB

Yes. Go for the usual suspects first. In case you didn't use something to isolate the throb and rate pots from the soldering pads, put something in between and see if the noise is gone. Any piece of cardboard or a paper folded a couple of times will do the trick.
I have 2 plastic covers, pots are not touching the PCB
It's a pretty popular pedal / circuit, that's way more noise than normal unless that amp is dimed.
I am using the pedal with Fractal Audio FM3 and it´s a quite silence unit, other pedals I´ve tested with like the Electrovibe and it´s dead quiet.
The video does sound that there's a compressor somewhere in the signal chain, lifting up the hiss in between the warbles. Is it from the amp, or from the phone audio?
Yes I´ve used a compressor but it´s not from that it´s a plugin that don´t add any noise into the signal.

I would think to check 2 things first: - make sure all solder joints good- esp around the level pot (a lifted ground here could induce some hiss etc), - also route the wires between the switch board and input output jacks above and away from
The board to make sure they are not picking up any stray noise from the PCB

Well I think I know what the problem is now. I was able to reduce the noise in 85/90% or more!

First the power supply Cioks is connected to a Power Line TP-Link that adds lots of noise in some type of circuits. (Fuzzes for Example)
So I connected into a new battery (Duracel Ultra) and voilá the noise dissapeard

Solution
Great!

Yes I´ve used a compressor but it´s not from that it´s a plugin that don´t add any noise into the signal.
Just a tip to get better help in these cases, next time avoid adding more process than needed.
I was scratching my head because the volume pot at the end made some noise go away (that indicated the noise could be happening in the output stage), but I was also hearing that the hiss was afected in some way by the LFO or the vibe filtering stages.

Just a tip to get better help in these cases, next time avoid adding more process than needed.
I was scratching my head because the volume pot at the end made some noise go away (that indicated the noise could be happening in the output stage), but I was also hearing that the hiss was afected in some way by the LFO or the vibe filtering stages.
Was just to make sure the hiss/hum can be noticeable heard just that.
Thank you as well for trying to help in these cases all tips are really welcome when we don´t have any conclusion about what causes the issue.

Sounds like there may be something wrong with your Clocks supply then. I know my TrueTone supplies are as quiet as batteries in even the worst conditions, and from what I’ve been told the Clocks are supposed to be even quieter (granted here say, as I love the TT and see no reason to change… I would think, however that all high end supplies should have equal isolation and noise rejection)

Sounds like there may be something wrong with your Clocks supply then. I know my TrueTone supplies are as quiet as batteries in even the worst conditions, and from what I’ve been told the Clocks are supposed to be even quieter (granted here say, as I love the TT and see no reason to change… I would think, however that all high end supplies should have equal isolation and noise rejection)
Well in my case the problem is not the Cioks is more related with the Power Line TP-Link that insert lot´s of noise in my electricity. If I desconnect the Power line TP-Link everything works perfecty, but I need to have internet in my studio, that is far from the router 200 meters. and I cannot pass a cable.

Don´t know if anyone here is using power lines, because it´s a nightmare removing the noise. is literally the internet signal passing from your electricity cables.

Last edited:
Yep, I used a Power Line for a couple years. I could hear the digital signal in my workbench Princeton amp from time to time.

I eventually switched to an Orbi system. It works much better, with wider range and no noise.

The Power Line would randomly stop working all the time and seemed to constantly need attention. :ROFLMAO:

Well in my case the problem is not the Cioks is more related with the Power Line TP-Link that insert lot´s of noise in my electricity. If I desconnect the Power line TP-Link everything works perfecty, but I need to have internet in my studio, that is far from the router 200 meters. and I cannot pass a cable.

Don´t know if anyone here is using power lines, because it´s a nightmare removing the noise. is literally the internet signal passing from your electricity cables.
I get that about electrical noise- I have my cable modem, multiband WiFi router, and secondary wig router as well as a few computers in the same room as where my amps and fx are. Also on the same circuit branch in the basement, I have a WiFi repeater.
Those cheap Amazon/Aliexprrss/Temu pedal power supplies? No good at all in my place.
Using the TrueTone, it’s as quiet as using batteries. Not sure how much the Furman strip I plug into helps or not, but it’s quiet.

If you are sure that power supply filtering isn’t bad, there are a couple things you could do to help, though- add more filtering to your pedals/power supply lines, or use UPS/BPS to power either the router, the pedals or both- a true UPS doesn’t get power directly from the power line, rather it rectifies the AC, uses that to keep charging a battery, and the output comes from the battery DC and an inverter converts to AC and steps it up to 125v (or 240v, depending where you live)…. As a result it does a great job of cleaning up the power.

Back