DEMO Acrylic Overdrive (Wampler Plexi-Drive)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Been sitting on this board for a bit. Finally had the gumption to build it out.

Another MIAB from Wampler. From what I can tell this is an earlier version without the mid-bump toggle.

I've mentioned before that I'm not the biggest fan of JFET based MIAB emulations, I think my preference is opamp+clippers to get there.

When I first built this, I biased the JFETs to 4.6v and I thought it sounded like crap. The gain was really fart-y and the breakup just didn't sound very good.

So I went back in biased by ear and got it sounding pretty good. Q1 and Q3 had the greatest effect on the way it sounded. I didn't measure where I wound up because I was just tuning by ear but I got it to the point where it sounds pretty good.

In the demo I compared it to another MIAB designed by Brian Wampler (I think), the J. Rockett Animal (PPCB Mammal) and just for giggles also compared it to the Barber Direct Drive (PPCB Candid Drive).

Which sounds better is a matter of personal preference but I kinda like all 3 of them. It's got me re-thinking some of the other JFET based drives I've built and leaves me wondering whether I should revisit them and bias them by ear as well instead of voltage. Even though I used SMD J201's I'll chalk it up to tolerances within the batches I have.

IMG_6303.JPG

IMG_6302.JPG

For the main part of the demo I used my recently "rebuilt" 60's Tele.

If you've been following my Telescapades the last iteration of this guitar was a Seafoam Green alder body.
It was a pretty heavy hunk of Alder and it felt a bit too heavy to me.

When I bought my postal scale not too long ago I weighed it, it was an 8.5lb Tele!

Anyway. I really wanted an Swamp Ash body for this, so I got a very nice fairly light swamp ash body from Dustin Bloomer.
It's so perfectly book matched that I could not tell it wasn't a one piece without looking at the end grain.

I'm not sure what he called this color but I'm calling it a "light burst". The guitar is now right around 7lbs and I can definitely tell the difference tonally.
It's much more resonant and "feels" better when I'm playing it. It's probably not noticeable to anyone else hearing it played but hey, it's all about me me me...... :ROFLMAO:

Here's what it looks like before...
IMG_4778.JPG

And after...
IMG_6312.JPG

IMG_6313.JPG

For the demo, I dialed up a Plexi-ish clean tone on my Frenzel.
In the outro jam I also used my SG and boosted the Acrylic with my Modus Operandi boost.

Great demo!
I dont know how it works with your rig Michael but here's my experience with it.

This is one of the first Wampler pedals I purchased, same format.
I found it a little on the thin side at lower gain settings with the fat switch Off & too Fat when I turned the Gain up with the Bass toggle on.
I wasn't into modding then so I ask Brian if they could modify it so it had a happy medium.
I think they paid return shipping & I payed for shipping back.
They replaced the toggle with a SPDT ON/OFF/ON so 2n2 is Standard On/ Middle Off/ 1nf added.
it's not a big value but its placement in the circuit has a dramatic effect!
There have been better pedals since then but 13 years ago it was a very popular pedal!

Last edited:
Interesting. I built this on vero probably a year ago or so never boxed it up as it wasn’t my thing but I want to say the notes for the vero were 6 or6.6v for the bias.

Interesting. I built this on vero probably a year ago or so never boxed it up as it wasn’t my thing but I want to say the notes for the vero were 6 or6.6v for the bias.
I just measured the real deal pictured above with 9.2v going in & the Fairchild J201's were 4.55v, 4.6v, 4.58v with no trimmers!

Always thought it ironic that a fella called Urban played country. And that he sounds more American than most, and he's Aussie.

Anyway that Tele looks fantastic. Love a med-light swamp ash body for a Tele.

As far as JFET MIAB pedals the only one I have ever liked is the six-knob Menatone King of the Britains. It's a great sounding pedal which uses six J201s, and is a PITA to build. I wish someone who made PCBs for guitar effect pedals would make a PCB for it because it really is excellent. Know anyone?

Always thought it ironic that a fella called Urban played country. And that he sounds more American than most, and he's Aussie.

Anyway that Tele looks fantastic. Love a med-light swamp ash body for a Tele.
Even Americans have to adopt and cultivate that "Nashville" accent when singing for what passes as "Country Music" these days.
(Brad Paisley is from Milwaukee or something heh). So not a stretch for an Aussie. While I don't like their music, I have to respect Urban and Paisley both as pretty great guitar players.

I'm loving the this Tele now. Amazing what a difference a hunk of wood makes. I forgot to mention that I have a set of Lollars in this one.

A Vintage T in the neck and a Special T in the bridge. It's the perfect set of pickups for this guitar.

Even Americans have to adopt and cultivate that "Nashville" accent when singing for what passes as "Country Music" these days.
(Brad Paisley is from Milwaukee or something heh). So not a stretch for an Aussie. While I don't like their music, I have to respect Urban and Paisley both as pretty great guitar players.

I'm loving the this Tele now. Amazing what a difference a hunk of wood makes. I forgot to mention that I have a set of Lollars in this one.

A Vintage T in the neck and a Special T in the bridge. It's the perfect set of pickups for this guitar.
Speaking of Lollar, is that pedal on the drawing board?

As far as JFET MIAB pedals the only one I have ever liked is the six-knob Menatone King of the Britains. It's a great sounding pedal which uses six J201s, and is a PITA to build. I wish someone who made PCBs for guitar effect pedals would make a PCB for it because it really is excellent. Know anyone?
Agreed. The KOTB is a great pedal and long been a favorite of mine. I only briefly tried the 6 knob but the 5 knob was always my favorite. I also have a 7 knob (w/ boost) that sounds great too. I also had two different 4 knob versions but didn't like them quite as much as the other versions. A diy pcb version of the 5 knob would be amazing!

For bedroom jamming and some recording I prefer the smooth clipping of a Direct Drive over most JFet based drives. But when playing with a band in the room I find some of the fet drives the best options for some marshall like tones. I built the PCBGM version of the Plexi Drive and quite like it. All biased around 4.5v. The BD DLS III is a good option as well. I know it's not a popular pedal but the Son of Ben (Benson Premap) is currently on my board as my go to higher gain drive.

Agreed. The KOTB is a great pedal and long been a favorite of mine. I only briefly tried the 6 knob but the 5 knob was always my favorite. I also have a 7 knob (w/ boost) that sounds great too. I also had two different 4 knob versions but didn't like them quite as much as the other versions. A diy pcb version of the 5 knob would be amazing!

Back