Acrylic paint pens and Envirotex

Blooze

Anyone doodle their own artwork then pour epoxy on it? I’ve done several following Pachyderm Pedals tutorial which basically has you baking the art before epoxy which the paint pens recommend if painting on glass and such. I really don’t like the change in color when baking and wondered if anyone just pours it on after the paint has dried for a day or so?

I don't pour epoxy over it, I use automotive clear coat spray cans. Light coat to start, then spray it on thicker for the second/third coat. No change in colour.

Not sure if my method is durable, I'm not moving the little bastards outside my house.

I’m not sure I understand the baking step. I’d check the pen’s manufacture instructions and see what they say for curing time. Baking paint is going to dry it too much, or possibly burn it, either of which will cause color change.

Just be patient and let it dry the correct way. I suspect a day or two is fine. Envirotex takes a long time anyway.

To echo @CaptainHowdy, i stopped using envirotex because it’s so fussy and expensive. I use Minwax lacquer, it leaves a great finish and dries quickly, and is very hard once it’s cured.

The pen manufacturer states to cure on ceramic or glass "Step 3: After fully dry (at least 24 hours), place your project into a cold oven; Turn oven to 350 ̊F (180 ̊C);" keeps it from flaking/scratching off so easy I guess.

I don't mind envirotex. The 16oz kit (8oz each) cost me about $15 on sale. That's enough to do the tops of 90+ 125B's for me. I've had Minwax and Rustoleum lacquer turn amber on me after a time before so I've avoided it. I've not tried an automotive acrylic lacquer yet.

I don't pour epoxy over it, I use automotive clear coat spray cans. Light coat to start, then spray it on thicker for the second/third coat. No change in colour.

Not sure if my method is durable, I'm not moving the little bastards outside my house.
What auto lacquer are you using?

Anyone doodle their own artwork then pour epoxy on it? I’ve done several following Pachyderm Pedals tutorial which basically has you baking the art before epoxy which the paint pens recommend if painting on glass and such. I really don’t like the change in color when baking and wondered if anyone just pours it on after the paint has dried for a day or so?
You shouldn't get a change in color if you bake for 15 minutes at about 200 - 250F. It will set the paint without the color change. Every one of the pedals I have done have been painted and at the beginning the reds would sink and change color if I baked too long or too hot. The progression of the lips on my facemelter is an example.

I am bad with paint. I tried using the Krylon ColorMaster Acrylic Crystal Clear and it cracked every time I used it. I don't have the patience to make it come out well. The envirotex is fussy but it has been working for me. A tablespoon of epoxy and hardener usually does 3 to 4 pedals tops for me.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

I don't mind envirotex. The 16oz kit (8oz each) cost me about $15 on sale. That's enough to do the tops of 90+ 125B's for me. I've had Minwax and Rustoleum lacquer turn amber on me after a time before so I've avoided it. I've not tried an automotive acrylic lacquer yet.

Interesting, I hope mine don't turn amber. Though I doubt they will. I think I finished the earliest ones 4-5 years ago. I also did just a couple really light coats.

Back