Adding a blend to a Promethium (HM-2)

I modded my real HM-2. The schematic at the Peperspedals link shows it wired right in between the flip flop switching (Q4 & Q10). The Promethium also has the in and out buffers, so it should work the same.
HM-2%2BBlend%2Bmod%2BSchematic.png

You can see where "send", "return" and "output" are wired, when using the Tagboard layout he recommends.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/01/mini-blend-jfet.html
Attached is a schematic of the blending circuit, though Peppers used different values.

On the Promethium:
"send" between Q1 and C2 to the blend board, which then goes to blend pot #1
"return" from volume #2 to blend pot #3 (notice " disconnect here")
"output" from blend pot #2. I'm not sure if YOU need that 1uf (C32 on the Boss schem) as you're using true bypass.

Attachments

• seanm.ca minblend   FET.png
    seanm.ca minblend FET.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I modded my real HM-2. The schematic at the Peperspedals link shows it wired right in between the flip flop switching (Q4 & Q10). The Promethium also has the in and out buffers, so it should work the same.
HM-2%2BBlend%2Bmod%2BSchematic.png

You can see where "send", "return" and "output" are wired, when using the Tagboard layout he recommends.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/01/mini-blend-jfet.html (he made the 10nf, 100nf on his)

On the Promethium:
"send" would be between Q1 and C2
"return" would be from volume #2 to the blend circuit (notice " disconnect here"
"output" would connect back. I'm not sure if YOU need that 1uf (C32 on the Boss schem) as you're using true bypass.
You're a golden god! I'll try this out.

I hope it helps. I edited my post to describe the pot connections.
An interesting use I'm finding for the blend is to place the HM-2 after another distortion pedal and blend in a little bit of "chainsaw" for all new tones.

Last edited:
I hope it helps. I edited my post to describe the pot connections.
An interesting use I'm finding for the blend is to place the HM-2 after another distortion pedal and blend in a little bit of "chainsaw" for all new tones.
Thank you for doing that for us!

On the Promethium:
"send" between Q1 and C2 to the blend board, which then goes to blend pot #1
"return" from volume #2 to blend pot #3 (notice " disconnect here")
"output" from blend pot #2. I'm not sure if YOU need that 1uf (C32 on the Boss schem) as you're using true bypass.
Do I need to do anything where it says "disconnect here". I saw in his original post that he actually cut through the PCB trace there.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I've tried a few different things with this, and all have failed for one reason or another.

I just want to add a blend to a Promethium.

If I use the Promethium board alone (no blend mod), it sounds and works great.

I've tried the GuitarPCB Buff n' Blend, but it oscillates. No oscillation if I don't run it through the send and return of the Buff N Blend, so it's definitely the BNB causing the issue.

I've tried a Mini-Mixer (little parallel mixer), with the idea of giving him one volume knob that's his clean signal, and one volume knob that's the HM-2 so he can mix to taste. The problem that I have with this is:
A) I get a little bit of volume or tone loss with the Mini-Mixer (found here: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/boosters/mini-mixer/).
B) I can't think of a way to wire it up where, when switched off, the pedal is just standard true-bypass, but when on, I can feed the clean input signal to one pot of the Mini-Mixer, and feed the output signal of the circuit to another pot of the Mini-Mixer.

I'm not sure what else I'm not thinking of here, but I feel like there's a glaringly obvious way to do this, and I just need a sanity check from the PedalPCB folks. Any help would be appreciated!
GuitarPCB BnB is bad for high gain applications, especially if you are running the Promethium into a dirty channel. Mask Audio make a blender that may work. I do know from experience the Pepers Pedals blender works perfect for such an application.

GuitarPCB BnB is bad for high gain applications, especially if you are running the Promethium into a dirty channel. Mask Audio make a blender that may work. I do know from experience the Pepers Pedals blender works perfect for such an application.
Trust this human their name is Angry Swede.

Hmm guessing there isn't such a JMK layout as it hasn't popped up in a search.
Given that the schematic is in JMK's build doc, I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet.

So I made 3 perf layouts, none verified, with two options for the Panner orienting the pot either on the back of the board or off to the side.

If anybody verifies any of the three, please let me know... Critiques of the layouts welcomed as well.

[DELETED due to error]

If anyone wants the schematic numbering instead of the values, I can upload that as well.

FIXed:

JMK PANNER & PARALYSER PERFed by Feral Feline.png

Last edited:
Given that the schematic is in JMK's build doc, I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet.

So I made 3 perf layouts, none verified, with two options for the Panner orienting the pot either on the back of the board or off to the side.

If anybody verifies any of the three, please let me know... Critiques of the layouts welcomed as well.

View attachment 13186

If anyone wants the schematic numbering instead of the values, I can upload that as well.
If I have the time and can find my perf I’ll build one tomorrow and test.

View attachment 13186

For the record I’ve never built anything on perf before so it’ll be an adventure. I’ll build the top left Panner. It seems like the best way to do this is print this and then print the reverse image to take care of the soldered traces on the bottom. Is that normal SOP for perf builds?

For the record I’ve never built anything on perf before so it’ll be an adventure. I’ll build the top left Panner. It seems like the best way to do this is print this and then print the reverse image to take care of the soldered traces on the bottom. Is that normal SOP for perf builds?
There's no right or wrong way, only the way that works for you.

I'll sometimes NOT cut leads off components and use the lead to continue the "trace", then go over it with solder as well — depending on the space constraints, whether or not I'm shifting something over for a larger component than indicated on the layout etc.

JMK PANNER TRACE PERF by Feral Feline.png

Upper left layout, just flip the above image in your graphics program.

@Danbieranowski — Hang on a tick, I found an error in the layout, pin 3 isn't connected... fixing it now.

PS: Schematic numbering so you can cross-check more easily.

JMK PANNER w: Schematic # PERF by Feral Feline.png

Last edited:
Back