Aion FX Cerulean

scheffehcs

I’m back to building pedals after a good 6 months off. Might have burnt myself out on the Aion IVP earlier this year, but now I’m back at it. Got a bunch I’m finishing up, and a bunch of failures I’ve fixed! So here’s the first. Aion’s Bluesbreaker. I did the extra gain stage, which is an almost necessary addition in my opinion. The stock bluesbreaker doesn’t get much louder past unison. At this point, I’ve built a bunch of bluesbreaker type circuits. This one is nice - I like having the clipping options on the front. I’d probably recommend this as a good starting point to anyone wanting to build a bluesbreaker. That said, the Pantheon / Parthenon is still my favorite. Last note - like a lot of people on here, I agree that the off board wiring on Aion boards is a hassle.

C6AFFE3D-AC45-4B97-8F36-76F9EF4A31A2.jpeg
BB8C0C81-063B-4E40-9FEA-2065CE2A9241.jpeg

Looks awesome. That’s next on my list- just ordered some parts for it. I’ve done a few of of his this last month and run everything underneath now. Just an extra step I guess. Here’s my first one compared to how I do it now:

03432AF4-FD0E-4821-8EAB-B10FB249F624.jpeg

Great look! What’s your rig? I really never bonded with the bluesbreaker—with both humbuckers and singles. Interested to know what guitars/amps folks that dig it use.
Les Paul with P90s. Been awhile since I gigged, don’t think I’ve used a bluesbreaker live actually. At home I have a hot rod deville, jc 22, and a Helix, sounds great through all three. I have a strat that I don’t use much, I seem to remember disliking it through the BB, too bright I think?

This reminds me I need to build a bluesbreaker or similar to play with. I love the way the brushed finish on your enclosure came out, how did you make that happen?
Just sanded a raw enclosure with 60 grit. Made sure to go pretty straight. Awhile back I got some enclosures from small bear that were already sanded like this. Next batch were not, however, so I did it myself.

Les Paul with P90s. Been awhile since I gigged, don’t think I’ve used a bluesbreaker live actually. At home I have a hot rod deville, jc 22, and a Helix, sounds great through all three. I have a strat that I don’t use much, I seem to remember disliking it through the BB, too bright I think?
Les Paul with humbuckers for me. And yeah, I felt like it thinned stuff out way too much. I thought it was sorta alright with offset rhythm circuits, but maybe it’s just not the sound I like. It’s odd—if I’m remembering correctly—the frequency response isn’t all that different than the TS.

Just sanded a raw enclosure with 60 grit. Made sure to go pretty straight. Awhile back I got some enclosures from small bear that were already sanded like this. Next batch were not, however, so I did it myself.
Put the sandpaper on a flat surface, with a board (or any straight edge) next to it, and be careful to stay straight. I’ve always used wet/dry paper for this, and 240 has been my most successful grit.

(not saying you did it wrong—the pedal looks great! Just I’ve done a lot of brushed finishes)

Back