Aion FX Monolith - Volume drop with tone circuit engaged?

spartan1017

Hi all

I've just finished building an Aion FX Monolith, which is working and sounds great.

However, I've noticed a significant volume drop when the tone circuit is engaged meaning the volume dial needs to be cranked a fair bit to get back to parity. From the rotary set to 'off' it's nice loud audio. It sounds to my ears like the volume drops significantly with the other 3 positions on the rotary. I've checked all the parts in that part of the schematic, and it appears all are where they should be.

I've not added the volume boost mod, but also believe this would impact all settings anyway so isn't the behaviour i'm hearing.

Can anyone else who's built this please confirm if they've noticed a similar thing, it's hard to know if this is just how the circuit is/was on the big cheese & derivatives or whether I have an issue. I did also build an Obelisk and the tone stack there, whilst different doesn't appear to impact the volume at all.

Thanks in advance!

If it's a passive tone control and you are fully bypassing it, that's normal.
Passive tone circuits are lossy:they only cut, don't boost.
You could possibly add a divider on the bypass switch, not sure. Haven't looked at the circuit or seen the layout.

That's interesting to know, thank you for the reply. I'm not looking to improve it, more to confirm that it's functioning as expected. I'd previously built the Aion FX Obelisk which has a very similar tone control and there wasn't a noticeable drop when engaged, whereas this is quite distinct and obvious.

Hopefully someone who has also built this board can confirm their observations to put my mind at ease :)

That’s good to know. I was surprised how much difference it makes to the volume, compared to the Obelisk build which I would say wasn’t noticeable at all.

Thank you both for your help and confirmation :)

Back