Aion FX Redshift

mybud

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
redshift_guts.jpg
My second Aion build. Took three days over this one, used the supplied drill template (which works really well btw), and did numerous test fittings before testing and boxing. I could improve the switch soldering no doubt, but was wary of burning them out through overheating.

redshift_housed.jpg

It works, thank goodness, and is very versatile, if not spoiled for options. Each choice makes a difference to the overall range of available toans so I'll need to spend a bit more time figuring all these out.

@szukalski kindly sent me his layout pdf and I'm very tempted to investigate getting a 3d-printed faceplate done, based on his design. Thanks again Dave!

Thanks for reading as always. NGBS.

I have this board waiting to be populated. Need to figure my UV design...

I also use a heat gun (embossing gun). I may be reckless but just shoot at the shrink tube from 2 or 3 angles without any concern for the board... my iron is hotter than that right? It takes a few seconds to shrink anyway.

I use my iron, a bit further up from the tip; if I go further down... then there's nothing. 🤭
You don't solder on your back? How else does the hot solder drip on your face?

I have done it the other way as well, when I was space constrained. Held the hot tip in close proximity, but it takes longer and doesn't fully work (though it does enough).

I knew it! You solder upside down!

I'd expect nothing less from a Kiwi expat in the northern hemisphere...

BTW, speaking of solder-splatter — have you named any of your PCBs "Sheep Dip"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@mybud — Did you use shielded wire for the jack-to-bypass wires?

I knew it! You solder upside down!

I'd expect nothing less from a Kiwi expat in the northern hemisphere...

BTW, speaking of solder-splatter — have you named any of your PCBs "Sheep Dip"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@mybud — Did you use shielded wire for the jack-to-bypass wires?
Nope, just ordinary wire.

Back