SOLVED Aion Gale No Bypass Signal

joelorigo

This is a replica of Schaffer-Vega Diversity System in a pedal from Aion Electronics.

There is no bypass signal. The LED doesn't light up when activated. When the pedal is activated signal passes through - I can verify this because turning the knobs change the sound (the volume make it louder, etc.)

IMG_5011.JPG

Anode you'd add a current limiting resistor and wire it to 9v, is it a single colour LED your wiring off board

You could add the wire between 1 and 6 although it's not absolutely necessary I rarely do it tbh

Anode you'd add a current limiting resistor and wire it to 9v, is it a single colour LED your wiring off board
OK so cathode LED lead goes to lug 4 on switch. Anode goes to same lug on DC jack that red wire is currently attached to? Which is the same DC lug that lug 1 of foot switch will be connected to?

OK so cathode LED lead goes to lug 4 on switch. Anode goes to same lug on DC jack that red wire is currently attached to? Which is the same DC lug that lug 1 of foot switch will be connected to?

You can take your 9v from any 9v source like this I just soldered the CLR onto the anode pin and tacked it on to 9v, soldered the cathode to lug 4 bent the leg to hold it in place, nice and rigid I use flat top LEDs so it's flush with the outer enclosure no bezel, no chance of accidentally stomping on it

Lug 1 of the footswitch doesn't get attached to the DC jack?

You should note that D1 the reverse polarity protection diode and R16 and C18 part of the power supply filtering were on the aion 3PDT board, having those components omitted shouldn't be a problem if you use a decent filtered and regulated power supply of the correct centre negative polarity and don't accidentally use a centre positive power supply you can if you wish add a protection diode to the DC jack

20200922_211359.jpg

20200922_220500.jpg

Last edited:
I've finally gotten started on this. I'm going to have to do this step by step for my brain to understand it. This is what I have so far. Not soldered yet but I think it is correct based on the previously referenced 3DPT wiring diagram. I have the 2 lug connected to the tip of the input jack. The 8 lug connected to the tip of output jack. Lugs 3 and 9 are connected by a jumper. Lug 5 is connected to the ground of the DC jack. Then I'm assuming I would connect lug 1 to the pad on the PBC labeled "IN" (see photo with drawing attached) and lug 7 to the pad on the PCB labeled "OUT."

If this is in fact correct, my fist question is where does the red wire connected to the DC jack connect to?

Attachments

• IMG_5073 copy.JPG
    IMG_5073 copy.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 17
I've finally gotten started on this. I'm going to have to do this step by step for my brain to understand it. This is what I have so far. Not soldered yet but I think it is correct based on the previously referenced 3DPT wiring diagram. I have the 2 lug connected to the tip of the input jack. The 8 lug connected to the tip of output jack. Lugs 3 and 9 are connected by a jumper. Lug 5 is connected to the ground of the DC jack. Then I'm assuming I would connect lug 1 to the pad on the PBC labeled "IN" (see photo with drawing attached) and lug 7 to the pad on the PCB labeled "OUT."

If this is in fact correct, my fist question is where does the red wire connected to the DC jack connect to?

Here:

Should say V+

But you’ll have no power supply filtering, as that’s all done on the switch pcb

Attachments

• ECD2C000-D8DC-4C20-8780-CFB7C2953EBC.jpeg
    ECD2C000-D8DC-4C20-8780-CFB7C2953EBC.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 9
The soldering on your jacks, the ground specifically doesn’t look great. You want to make sure you have a sound mechanical connection before you solder
I will re-do, thanks. Which brings me to my next question, where does that wire connected to the sleeve of the input jack connect to?

I believe that’s correct. I think the ground wire on the switch is in the wrong place. It should run from the power input to a ground spot on the board. Otherwise it’s not doing anything.

You have to power and ground the main pcb then star ground to the jack sleeves and 3PDT lug 5 like this
as I said in my previous post without the aion 3pdt board you'd have no reverse polarity
protection and some of the power supply filtering would be missing those components were on their 3PDT board

Just ignore the Aion wiring because you're now wiring direct to the 3PDT without their board

You can take your 9v from any 9v source like this I just soldered the CLR onto the anode pin and tacked it on to 9v, soldered the cathode to lug 4 bent the leg to hold it in place, nice and rigid I use flat top LEDs so it's flush with the outer enclosure no bezel, no chance of accidentally stomping on it

Lug 1 of the footswitch doesn't get attached to the DC jack?

You should note that D1 the reverse polarity protection diode and R16 and C18 part of the power supply filtering were on the aion 3PDT board, having those components omitted shouldn't be a problem if you use a decent filtered and regulated power supply of the correct centre negative polarity and don't accidentally use a centre positive power supply you can if you wish add a protection diode to the DC jack

aionwire.jpg

STAR grounding just means you'd ground the output jack sleeve as shown then jumper a wire over to the input jack sleeve and from the input jack sleeve to 3PDT lug 5 you could check to see if the N.C. pad has continuity with ground if it does use that to ground 3PDT lug 5

I believe that’s correct. I think the ground wire on the switch is in the wrong place. It should run from the power input to a ground spot on the board. Otherwise it’s not doing anything.
Right now it's not connected to anything. There is a "GND" pad on the PCB in between the "IN" and "V+" pads, and there is one in between the "VC" and "OUT" pads. Since it's coming from the input jack I'm assuming its the one on the same side of the board, the left side, between the IN and V+ pads.

Attachments

• IMG_5074 copy.jpg
    IMG_5074 copy.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 3
If you've got ground going from the DC jack to the 3PDT lug 5 you could just jumper a wire basically tin it and tack solder it to the top of lug 5 then jumper it over to a ground pad on the main board

If you've got ground going from the DC jack to the 3PDT lug 5 you could just jumper a wire basically tin it and tack solder it to the top of lug 5 then jumper it over to a ground pad on the main board
I haven't done any soldering yet, so I can do it like the diagram you just posted. However, the diagram you just posted doesn't have the jumper between lug 3 and 9 like the previous 3PDT diagram I had found.

It was just to show you the specifics eg where +9v goes etc you'd still have the link there, anyway if you haven't wired anything what I'd do is wire your DC ground to the pad shown jumper a ground wire from there to pin 5, for your jacks link a wire between the in and out sleeves then a wire down to the other ground pad

I think the confusion was because of the Aion board which is obviously a lot easier having another 4 ground pads available but alas i'ts gone to board heaven!

It was just to show you the specifics eg where +9v goes etc you'd still have the link there, anyway if you haven't wired anything what I'd do is wire your DC ground to the pad shown jumper a ground wire from there to pin 5, for your jacks link a wire between the in and out sleeves then a wire down to the other ground pad

I think the confusion was because of the Aion board which is obviously a lot easier having another 4 ground pads available but alas i'ts gone to board heaven!
So I am going to solder like this and check back. Thanks all.

Attachments

• aionwire.jpg
    aionwire.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 6
Haha yeah I've thrown a few out the window

Anyway here's a hashed photo green your grounds red your +9v

So you've got the jumper going from in to out jack sleeve then down to the ground pad on the right

DC jack ground down to ground on left then a jumper to ground pin 5 for your LED, DC jack +9v to the +9v pad

That's your main pcb powered and grounded and your 3PDT and jacks grounded

Everything else remains the same

Let us know how you get on its hopefully just a faulty switch and no other faults

aionbd.JPG

Last edited:
OK I soldered the wires as in this diagram. If I understand the previous post, I should now add a jumper from the input jack sleeve to the output jack sleeve. And a wire connecting lug 5 on the switch to the same GND pad the DC jack is connected to. I've drawn green on a new photo.

Attachments

• aionwire.jpg
    aionwire.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5075 copy.jpg
    IMG_5075 copy.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 10
Back