DEMO AionFX Andromeda Deluxe (Nordland ODR-C)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This one's been on my radar for quite a while, not sure why it's taken me so long to get around to building it but I finally did!

The ODR-1 was a pedal that I didn't really know much about until I started watching Tom Bukovac and Tim Pierce on Youtube. It seems to be a staple for the Nashville studio session cats.

The original ODR-1's were supposed to be a TubeScreamer alternative that was cheap, and cheaply made. But it had a certain charm about it and a sound that works well across a lot of genres,

The designer of the ODR-1 Kai Tachibana revisited his circuit under his own brand "Nordland" and modified the original circuit to make it more versatile, greatly improve the build quality and address the biggest complaint about the ODR-1, which was the bass forward nature of the circuit.

It's got the same Level, Gain and Spectrum controls of the original but adds a bass cut, a mid cut/boost and something called "ODC" which stands for "Overdrive De-Compress", which essentially blends in a second set of clipping LED's that are higher vF than the 914's the ODR-1 uses. I'm not hearing a ton of difference with this control but it could be the LED's I used. I didn't have any 3mm Green Diffused LEDs so I used 5mm ones but I didn't measure them. I should go back and measure the forward voltage and compare them to the 914's I've been using.

It's a busy circuit with lots of components and some oddball components like a pair of 2u2 Film caps. I didn't have any so I subbed electrolytic caps instead.
According the build docs the original ODR-C used e-caps anyway.

I followed my typical knob selections for 6 knob builds where the 3 main controls are one color and the extended eq controls in a different color.
Short of labelling the controls (egads!) it helps me keep track of what's what on the pedal.

The cream knobs are the standard Level, Gain and Tone controls.

IMG_5572.JPG

IMG_5541.JPG

Really tough to align and keep all the film caps tidy on such a busy board and so many different makes and sizes of film caps.
Speaking of film caps, a word of warning on the 1uf film caps. The layout won't support the standard sized 1uf caps and you'll need to use the WIMA small footprint ones (or use MLCC).

This next set of pics is specially by request for @eh là bas ma who was curious about my PCB cleaning process and what the back of my boards look like.
I'm afraid it will confirm even more my OCD nature to show this but....hey, I yam what I yam...... :ROFLMAO:

I know that a lot of folks will think this is overkill but I just can't stand dirty boards. I actually started cleaning my boards more thoroughly from back when I still doing a lot of troubleshooting and a clean board makes it a lot easier to probe solder joints and also allow me to do a close inspection of my soldering before boxing it up.

So once I get the board populated with everything EXCEPT trimmers (when needed), potentiometers and IC's I'll clean the board. I don't like cleaning flux with any kind of potentiometer or trim pots installed because the diluted flux can get inside the pots and mess up the wipers.

IMG_5525.JPG

This is what it looks like before cleaning.....yuck.
IMG_5526.JPG

I used the liquid form of Flux Remover from MG Chemicals and put it in a spray bottle. It's the most economical way that I've found.
IMG_5527.JPG

I flood the board liberally with flux remover and use a soft bristle brush and scrub off the flux. (Incidentally, I use Kester No Clean solder)

I'll do this twice to get most of the gunk off.
IMG_5530.JPG

Then I have another spray bottle of 99% IPA and use a separate brush and clean it twice with IPA.
IMG_5531.JPG

After which I will liberally rinse both sides of the board with the IPA spray bottle.
IMG_5532.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG

Continued in next post......

Attachments

• IMG_5529.JPG
    IMG_5529.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 5
Then I gently dry both sides with a heat gun to flash off the alcohol....
IMG_5534.JPG
IMG_5535.JPG

After that I'll solder the circuit "into" the enclosure that already has the pots mounted.
IMG_5536.JPG

I was distracted with documenting this process that I forgot to add the buss wire legs. So I had to pop it back out and solder in the legs.
IMG_5537.JPG

Aaaaannnnd if you have sharp eyes, you'll notice that I got the legs backwards....sigh.

Once everything is soldered in place and I've checked that the circuit works, I'll do the final cleaning.
IMG_5538.JPG

I used cut up old cotton t-shirts as patches. (I also use these for gun cleaning bore patches)
I got the idea from @Betty Won't who said she uses alcohol wipes for injections. I bought and used a box of those and decided to switch to cotton patches so I wouldn't have to buy them.

IMG_5539.JPG

I soak the patches with IPA and slowly work off any flux from soldering in the pots and stomp switch from the top.

IMG_5540.JPG

And voila, that's my process. I've been doing this for probably my last 150 builds or so.

Continued in next post.....

Last edited:
For the demo, I compared the Andromeda to the PedalPCB Pro-10 Green side, which is also a modified ODR-1 and also to a stock ODR-1.

The Pro-10 sounds like they already addressed the bass forward nature of the circuit.

I think the ODR-C is a cool pedal and it's definitely more versatile tonally than the ODR-1. But it also seems to lack some of the charm of the ODR-1. Yes, it's bass heavy but that's also kinda what gives it its unique sound to me. Not unlike a TubeScreamer being a mid-forward circuit,

Having said that, out of the 3 circuits I think I like the Pro-10 Green the best. Only 3 knobs, sounds good in just about any setting, not a bad sound to be had out of it. And it sounds a little "meatier" to me.

Mike, I really appreciate your posts. This one really addressed a grievance that I have had with my building….the cleaning. I was using IPA, only, but still having having sticky residue. I tried denatured alcohol with similar issues. I may try this flux removal as a first step and see if it helps. Thanks again!

Wahou !

Very grateful for the extra set of pics. That's the most effective cleaning process i've ever seen.

Now I am seriously thinking about getting some flux remover and some IP alcohol. It must be so satisfaying to put a clean board in the enclosure...

ODR-C has been on my build list for a long time, glad you chose this circuit to describe your cleaning process.

I won't play the devil's advocate, but... Let's say i am an envious prick, and i love to criticize other people's work, probably to compensate my own flaws :

When we look at your board before (and even after) the cleaning, we can clearly see some bubble-shaped solder joints and a few suspicious soldering pads.

Makes me wonder if you spend as much time and effort soldering the parts, as you spend on the final looks ?

Isn't there some kind of contradiction in your "OCD nature" ? Aren't you focusing on the cleanliness, chasing the perfect looking pcb, rather than the perfect looking solder joint ?

Please forget I've said anything,

Thank you very much for this inspiring build report !

Wahou !

Very grateful for the extra set of pics. That's the most effective cleaning process i've ever seen.

Now I am seriously thinking about getting some flux remover and some IP alcohol. It must be so satisfaying to put a clean board in the enclosure...

ODR-C has been on my build list for a long time, glad you chose this circuit to describe your cleaning process.

I won't play the devil's advocate, but... Let's say i am an envious prick, and i love to criticize other people's work, probably to compensate my own flaws :

When we look at your board before (and even after) the cleaning, we can clearly see some bubble-shaped solder joints and a few suspicious soldering pads.

Makes me wonder if you spend as much time and effort soldering the parts, as you spend on the final looks ?

Isn't there some kind of contradiction in your "OCD nature" ? Aren't you focusing on the cleanliness, chasing the perfect looking pcb, rather than the perfect looking solder joint ?

Please forget I've said anything,

Thank you very much for this inspiring build report !
I generally don't worry about the looks of my solder joints as much. I have enough confidence in my soldering that I know when I've got a good joint by the coverage of the pad, the flow through into the hole and color of the solder. Anything suspicious looking I'll generally re-flow it at the time I'm soldering.

I generally don't worry about the looks of my solder joints as much.
As i understand it so far, the most difficult and most rewarding skill is to be able to perform very good soldering joints. That's a big part of what will determine wether the circuit will last 30 years or not.

And performing a very good solder joint is either an art in itself, or at least some long-lasting quest.

Am I wrong about this ?

Shouldn't this community expect more from MichaelW, regarding the Art of Soldering ?

Tidy build report as always, @MichaelW!

I'm afraid it will confirm even more my OCD nature to show this but....
Indeed, you're putting forth some serious effort to get those boards clean. Have you considered trying Kester 331 (I think that's the number) Organic Core solder? It's water soluble and literally rinses off clean with minimal effort.

IMG_5533.JPG
Wearing gloves must make me a wimp, :ROFLMAO:. That IPA has to be wrecking your skin with as much building (and subsequent cleaning) that you do.

As i understand it so far, the most difficult and most rewarding skill is to be able to perform very good soldering joints. That's a big part of what will determine wether the circuit will last 30 years or not.

And performing a very good solder joint is either an art in itself, or at least some long-lasting quest.

Am I wrong about this ?

Shouldn't this community expect more from MichaelW, regarding the Art of Soldering ?
What can I say? Yes, I have OCD but it's inconsistent heh......

This was very informative! Which liquid flux remover do you use? I've been just using ISO alcohol and still having a hell of a time. And I like the heat gun trick too. Definitely going to try that.

Oh and great build as always!

This was very informative! Which liquid flux remover do you use? I've been just using ISO alcohol and still having a hell of a time. And I like the heat gun trick too. Definitely going to try that.

This is the one I've been using. Using a spray bottle is much more economical than using the compressed cans. This is only my second bottle in like 150 pedals. So it lasts a good long while.

61-ct5xvKRL._SL1500_.jpg

mike probably ge

mike probably gets his in large drums from Walter White :ROFLMAO: I have been using this for quite some time now and like that it has the straw built in. the pressure and solvents make it really easy to clean flux. After a couple sprays I let it dry and use IPA to do my final wipe down.

I think the ODR-C is a cool pedal and it's definitely more versatile tonally than the ODR-1. But it also seems to lack some of the charm of the ODR-1.
I’ve not tried the ODR-C yet (on my list) but this has largely been my experience with other pedals’ attempts to “fix” the ODR-1.

I find the ODR-1 to be a bit of a one-trick pony but it does that trick very very well and most tweaks I’ve found make it a bit less of a fit for said “trick”. Some pedals just seem to bond best with a particular guitar and/or sound and for me the Nobels really just begs to be paired with a Tele and it really nails that “Nashville sound.” The tweaked versions are generally more versatile and fit for broader-uses but I’d agree that they just don’t quite have the same charm/character.

Back