AMI 'Spirit of 76' (Median Compressor)

andrewsrea

Built to PedalPCB spec (unusual for me). Having used many UREI 1176 compressors and being underwhelmed with traditional guitar compressors (yes, even my 1982 Ross that I kept for 34 years), this pedal hits what I want in a guitar / bass compressor: big, natural sustain, with a hint of country 'squish'!

20240712_143917.jpg 20240712_143829.jpg 20240712_143841.jpg

I'm a few parts short on this one (I swear I ordered the IC's and a C25k ) from Mouser but maybe I just dreamt it. Looking forward to it. What's the deal here, it looks like laser into powdercoat and then gold backfilled? Lovely looking pedal and the gold switch with creme knobs looks very classy.

I'm a few parts short on this one (I swear I ordered the IC's and a C25k ) from Mouser but maybe I just dreamt it. Looking forward to it. What's the deal here, it looks like laser into powdercoat and then gold backfilled? Lovely looking pedal and the gold switch with creme knobs looks very classy.

Thank you for the compliment! Actually, the finish started with scuffing the pedal diagonally to achieve a consistent shine with a 400 grit wet sand. Degreased with Naptha and washed with water. Then, three light coats of Krylon Fusion 'Gloss Red Plum', let cure for four days. Then laser-etched just to the point of exposing the shine, using an EzCAD type program and my friend's very expensive etching machine. Last, three light coats of Krylon Fusion 'Clear Gloss.' The 'gold' appearance is my work bench warm white spotlights. I have those mixed with sunlight led lights for fine work and just turned off the latter for a warmer pic.

Back