Amp-Like Channel Switching for Pedals

Dirty_Boogie

Here’s my concept (probably not that original)… I’ve built 3 Victory V1 pedals that I really like. I’d like to emulate the channel switching of a 3-channel amp - P1 (clean); P2 (crunch); P3 (lead). Like the channel switching on an amp, I want 3 foot switches, and whichever one I stomp on, it becomes active, and the other two are bypassed.

I’m guessing this is some sort of looper configuration, but I’m not finding a schematic. Anyone have one they can point me to?

Thanks!

In the event that you want one of the effects to be excluded from the channel switching you just don't connect the CTRL wire to that module.

(For example, a dual channel drive with a boost where you want the boost to stay active regardless of which drive channel is active.)

Oooo this has me thinking: is it feasible to attach the control port to the ring of a TRS connector and not necessarily have them all in the same box?

Update: It would need to gracefully fall back to standard mode if a TS plug was inserted. I’m thinking this won’t work since any TS plug would short all of the control ports to ground.

Last edited:
That's got me thinking, too!

You could jam a toggle in between the control wires of the boards to toggle on/off the radio-button capability.

Oooo this has me thinking: is it feasible to attach the control port to the ring of a TRS connector and not necessarily have them all in the same box?

Update: It would need to gracefully fall back to standard mode if a TS plug was inserted. I’m thinking this won’t work since any TS plug would short all of the control ports to ground.
What if you use those fancy 9-Pin switching jacks? All audio is routed as per normal with the first switch handling whether or not something's in the loop (obviously I'm thinking loop-switcher rather than specific circuits in a combo pedal), and the 2nd switch of the jack handles the Control Wire feed...

From this thread:

bc3de398-90a5-4941-9bb8-3fd201ef4e49-jpeg.43993

It'll take me a while to wrap my brain around this, as to whether it's feasible or not. It took me a long time to work out the pre-post eq/clipping 4PDT for my Cirrus, eventually I caught a mistake I'd made in logic/flow — and now I think it's good to go.

What's great about this 9-pin is the commons have both closed and open modes.

Hmm...

A switching jack wouldn't even be necessary.

If nothing is connected to the CTRL pad then the module behaves like a standard relay bypass module. (No latching/momentary function, but otherwise standard operation)

Of course you'd need two jacks in each pedal (or some other means of daisy chaining them together).

Tough choice, then:

1/4" jacks for easy of using regular patch cables (but at the risk of connecting audio to the CTRL)
1/8" jacks for easy distinguishing which is audio/which is CTRL signal (but at the risk of not having a spare 1/8" cable when one goes down in the middle of a gig).

Back