An all-model Rat

Tremster

You can build the Muriodea for a standard Rat, but how about a fourth knob for the infamous Ruetz mod?

And the different Rat models (Standard, Fat Rat, You Dirty Rat, Turbo Rat) - at least to my knowledge - only differ in the clipping diodes (Silicon, Mosfet, Germanium, LED), but you can only put two sets of diodes on a toggle switch.
So how about a four knob Rat plus a rotary selector for all those diodes, which would be the all-model Rat plus the Ruetz mod?!

Edit:
I'm just seeing that the Deucetone Rat has a "Clean Rat" mode, which is probably without diodes.

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread I’ve just decided I’m gonna use the Triad Distortion board to do a triple-rat with silicon, LED, and germanium clipping diodes, get stock/turbo/dirty

Not sure if it's what you are looking for exactly, but this reminded me of Beavis Audio's FKR (Four Knob Rat). Link to the schem is in the text of that page, but I might as well link it here.

Here's one I built several years back.

The right side (Classic) offers
  • Vintage diode clipping
  • TURBO red LED clipping
  • Asymmetrical Distortion clipping
  • Symmetrical OD clipping
  • Asymmetrical OD clipping
  • Mosfet OD clipping

The left side (Modern/ aggressive) offers
  • NO clipping diodes (a'la Ibanez LM7 LA Metal)
  • White LED clipping
  • Asymmetrical LED clipping
  • LED OD clipping
  • Asymmetrical LED OD clipping
  • Mosfet OD clipping

15776911_1573308936029601_7634791092159596344_o.jpg

The VFE Red Wolf is great. It's a 4 knobber with a selectable clipper (led / diode / none). I got some boards made and I love it. I only like the led clipper, though.

Here's one I built several years back.

The right side (Classic) offers
  • Vintage diode clipping
  • TURBO red LED clipping
  • Asymmetrical Distortion clipping
  • Symmetrical OD clipping
  • Asymmetrical OD clipping
  • Mosfet OD clipping

The left side (Modern/ aggressive) offers
  • NO clipping diodes (a'la Ibanez LM7 LA Metal)
  • White LED clipping
  • Asymmetrical LED clipping
  • LED OD clipping
  • Asymmetrical LED OD clipping
  • Mosfet OD clipping

View attachment 10482
A regular mischief factory you got there

I don't think removing the clipping diodes alone would make it a clean boost.

The Parentheses has a "no diode" mode and it's anything but clean.
If you're super careful with the distortion pot, you can get a clean-ish boost out of it

Kinda piggy-backing on this idea... Why not an all Proco dirt box? Take all the classic Rat flavors, but add switchable soft clipping and input/ output boost (Brat / Roadkill), switchable bass boost (Juggernaut), and switchable tonestack (Solo). Sorta like the Palisades, but Rat flavored

Could even take it further, and splice in some other values from the Ibanez family of Rats, like the LM7, Fat Cat, and Bass Stack

Back