And on the 8th day there was Fuzz. (Hylian, Vanquisher)

coltonius

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Howdy, all. It’s been way too long since I’ve done one of these, and I have many to share. I’ll start with the PPCB ones though, because I am forever grateful for the projects and community that @Robert has created!

Hylian Fuzz (Devi Ever BIT: Legend of Fuzz)
I had an original many years ago and built a clone when the project was first released. Well, old cravings die hard- and me, I’m a sucker for wacky fuzz!

The Build:
This one was an absolute hit, as I knew it would be. I breadboarded the circuit first to make sure my parts worked before populating the PCB- that’s more attention than Devi ever put into parts selection, but I’ve had a few booboo 2907 transistors lately (some with out-of-spec HFE, others with situs inversus..) and didn’t want to take any chances!

The rest of the build went off without a hitch! I made a few changes for usability: namely, I used a C100k for Control to widen the range of usability and A100k for Volume. Still, it’s louder than god! Someone here recommended installing a 100k resistor between lug 3 of the Volume pad on the PCB and lug 3 of the Volume pot… Do that, every time with this fuzz!

The Sound:
It’s the square wave goodness I remember! The Control is indeed more usable, and the output is way more manageable. It’s a one trick pony that does its trick really well- from 1/3 - 2/3 sweep, the Control is gated and sputtery with my Strat; from 2/3 - full it’s a full throated 8-bit fuzz. Until Robert releases a Pixel Fuzz project, this will do the job nicely!

The Finish:
I used one of Tayda’s metallic champagne enclosures. Compared to previous orders, this order had less metallic and more orange peel. Oh well! Slap a Triforce decal on the top, and voila! That’s a wrap. As you can see, it fits nicely inside a 1590B with plenty of room for a battery. (I used trimmed resistor leads to connect pots to the board on this one, as it needed to be more on top of the pots than usual.)

IMG_0534.jpeg

Vanquisher Fuzz (Way Huge Conquistador):
I’ve been reading about this one for quite awhile and finally decided to build one. The gated description and sound appealed to my desire for fuzzy nonsense, so how could I not?

The Build:
It was straightforward and simple as can be. The only “special” part is the MJE210, which most of the usual pedal-specific parts suppliers don’t carry (SBP and Tayda anyway..). It’s just a silicon PNP though, and the HFE on mine were in the low-200s. I’m sure I could’ve used a sub without issues! No mods on this one.

The Sound:
It’s gated alright! I tested it with my 57/62 loaded Strat and needed the Fuzz knob turned up fairly high to get consistent attack due to the weak pickups. The Tone knob is a typical BMP network with plenty of low end for those who prefer it, and I will probably go back and modify the taper to a C100k or adjust the parts values. I like my fuzz to be on the brighter, more cutting side of things without going full AM radio; the sweet spot for me is currently around 1-2 o’clock.

The Finish:
In keeping with the original aesthetic, I used a matte grey sand textured finish and red aluminum knobs. It feels classy and durable! This one is also in a 1590B with creative pot wiring. I meant to install a battery snap but ran out of TRS jacks, so I’ll rectify that on the next parts order.

Boom!

IMG_0538.jpeg

Clean builds.

I was just discussing the LoF with a friend today, and yesterday. He had an original and liked it, but sold it off long ago.

Looks like I'll be building him a Hylian and may have to build one for myself, so thanks for the mods!

Clean builds.

I was just discussing the LoF with a friend today, and yesterday. He had an original and liked it, but sold it off long ago.

Looks like I'll be building him a Hylian and may have to build one for myself, so thanks for the mods!
Thank you!

In a past build, I inserted a switch to remove the "preamp" portion so I could have a GZ and a BIT in one. Point 1 would be stock, Point 2 would be the insertion for the GZ (Control lug 3 > Point 2).

**Note: Control is notated backward on this schematic.

1705943674121-fc6474ca-591b-49e6-9566-0dc1f8c5108e_3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back