Angry Charlie V3

Looks fantastic! I just read your blog on etching...will definitely try.
How does the reverse etching work? Did you basically etched away all the part that's in red sparkle?

Cheers! Yes its exactly that, the process itself is really no different than 'normal' etching apart from how you do the artwork, but somewhere along the way people referred to the approach as reverse etching and I think its just stuck!

Let me know how you get on, any questions feel free to ask!

For anyone following this thread I had a question; I'm fairly happy with the sound of the AC but its not quite ticking all the boxes after a few hours play, the low end is a bit flubby. I'm also considering the Thermionic Deluxe (or perhaps one of the smaller variants), how do they compare? I'm using a Fender Twin and am looking for a high gain distortion that has a good mid presence. I tried the AC first as some demos of the BE-OD sound a bit scooped but wondering with the Mids knob on the Deluxe it might have that push I'm looking for, and also a tighter low end response than the AC?

I use a Fender Twin as well.... You might want to try the Tyrian or Sanguine.

Thanks for the quick reply! I hadn't actually checked these pedals out before, the Tyrian sounds awesome! I'm chasing an SLO-ish sort of sound (early Helmet or Silverchair rather than chug chug metal), i.e. big and thick with plenty of mids but not too harsh, seems to fit the bill very nicely! I will get on it!

Great looking build!

FWIW, you MAY want to try the "Guvernator"... the Angry Charlie is based on the Marshall Guv'nor circuit, and one of the things that Josh did with the AC was add some extra gain and lower the low-end response (maybe he took center of the midrange down?). It makes the AC a bit 'gainier', but also softens and 'flubs' up the low end a touch. The "Guvernator" is pretty true to the original Guv'nor circuit and it has a MUCH tighter low-end structure, with the same 3-band EQ and huge range of gain from almost none to balls-to-the-wall overdrive. Edging into distortion territory, but retaining string-to-string clarity.

The Guvernator & AC have completely different Tone Stacks (passive vs. active). You can change a few R's & C's in the AC to adjust the gain and low-end response going into the distortion stages. Just sayin'.

Great looking build!

FWIW, you MAY want to try the "Guvernator"... the Angry Charlie is based on the Marshall Guv'nor circuit, and one of the things that Josh did with the AC was add some extra gain and lower the low-end response (maybe he took center of the midrange down?). It makes the AC a bit 'gainier', but also softens and 'flubs' up the low end a touch. The "Guvernator" is pretty true to the original Guv'nor circuit and it has a MUCH tighter low-end structure, with the same 3-band EQ and huge range of gain from almost none to balls-to-the-wall overdrive. Edging into distortion territory, but retaining string-to-string clarity.

Cool thanks for the heads up, I was aware the AC was based on the Guv’nor but not how it had been modded by JHS. I’ve got all the parts for the Tyrian on the way now so will see how I get on with that to begin with.

The Guvernator & AC have completely different Tone Stacks (passive vs. active). You can change a few R's & C's in the AC to adjust the gain and low-end response going into the distortion stages. Just sayin'.

I might look into that as do like the overall sound, just sounds like it could do with a tweak to make it work for me. I’ve started using it as a light-ish overdrive rather than full tilt and am getting on better with it now. It also stacks nicely with my Sonic Titan which I had originally tried to pair with my Timmy then my Rat with general success but the AC has just clinched it

Back