Another Schu-Tone DM-3

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is without a doubt the best analog delay diy has to offer IMO. I wanted another one for various reasons. I know a lot of people got boards for this but I haven't seen a ton of build reports so this is to remind everyone that hasn't built it yet that you are missing out on a great delay.

I did a full redesign for my enclosure. Matte White tayda box and UV print. If you haven't got one make sure you hit up @dan.schumaker to get one.
1000012190.jpg 1000012189.jpg 1000012191.jpg 1000012192.jpg

Digging the redesign. But, better than the DMM? I’ll have to give it a shot in that case.
with the caveat that you don't need modulation on the repeats, I feel this is just as good. My DMM doesn't always like to play nice with humbuckers and The DM-3 has no issues with impedance, hotter humbuckers and has a lower noise floor. It's brighter and softer than a DM-2 as well.

it's also a smaller form factor than most DMMs and cheaper to build due to the chipset. I'm hoping one day @dan.schumaker will make a stereo output version 😉
Ironically, your excellent anamorph build report made me move my DM-3 board further down the build backlog 😂 I recently finished a madbean skoolie (which I LOVE) and figured the stereo ‘morph would be a better follow-up. But let’s be real they’re both gonna get built.

Oh this is a beauty...I had my Mouser cart for my DM-3 board just about ready when a bunch of crap went out of stock! Especially the trimmers. Oh well, I'll throw the parts for another project or two in there and sit tight I guess...

Outstanding build! The DM-3 is definitely one of my favorite delays.
Digging the redesign. But, better than the DMM? I’ll have to give it a shot in that case.
I love my DMM and as not to take away from any of its majesty because every guitar player needs to plug into one at some point, but if someone where to ask what analog delay to build I would say the DM-3 for multiple reasons, including everything Chris said, it gets you in to very similar territory maybe not as extreme but you can still drive it into oscillation, and is much more forgiving both in building and playing, well worth your time.

Back