Any current sources for LM308 out there?

Please send me that mod if you get a chance to. It's atop a 1936V with the 2-G12 vintage Celestions.

Love the G12 vintage. The combo comes with a G12 vintage and a G12 heritage. They sound fantastic cranked.

I'll find the deets for the mod again and send it over later on.

Reactions: fig
Better hurry, that product is trending (can’t imagine why) and there are only 10 left after my purchase of 2……gonna see what all the fuss is ab since I just finished a Muroidea (currently with the OP07) and a Slow Loris in the works. F*cking mojo😑

Better hurry, that product is trending (can’t imagine why) and there are only 10 left after my purchase of 2……gonna see what all the fuss is ab since I just finished a Muroidea (currently with the OP07) and a Slow Loris in the works. F*cking mojo😑
6 left. I grabbed two (why? I don’t even like rats. I guess I’ll do some mojo builds as gifts for Xmas?) and it seems someone else grabbed two since it was down to 8 right before I ordered.

Wow guys thanks for all the info and help, I wasn't expecting such a lively/fun/helpful thread to be, more like "meh' not again..."...
Great stuff! I'm planning to use it in a few "Voodoo Women (Roger Mayer Voodoo 1") in Chucks Boneyard. Also I had a friend who plays an original Voodoo 1 all the time compare the first test build with different chips and he could blind test the difference between fakes and a real one. So there's seems to be something to it in that circuit at least.
Looks though as the ebay seller might be out soon haha...

I've had three of these in my cart for probably 2 months. Well, just pick them up. There's three left FYI.

I did not want to hear the diff between LM308 and OP07, but unfortunately I did and now I'm stuck. The good news is I have a small stash of LM108AH metal cans. I've had them so long I don't recall where, when or why I acquired them. They sound the same as LM308 DIP, unless you look at them and then they sound better. Check the date code, they're older than a lot of you guys. Believe it or not, that's the AMD logo. One of the premier advanced microprocessor manufacturers used to make military-grade opamps!

LM108AH 02.jpg

If you like to turn your Rat up to 11, then an OP07 will sound about the same. I hear the difference at low gain, on the cusp where the opamp stops clipping and the diodes take over. YMMV.

BTW, the Voodoo-1 uses an LM308, but an MC3476 sounds nearly identical in that circuit.

I did not want to hear the diff between LM308 and OP07, but unfortunately I did and now I'm stuck. The good news is I have a small stash of LM108AH metal cans. I've had them so long I don't recall where, when or why I acquired them. They sound the same as LM308 DIP, unless you look at them and then they sound better. Check the date code, they're older than a lot of you guys. Believe it or not, that's the AMD logo. One of the premier advanced microprocessor manufacturers used to make military-grade opamps!

View attachment 52520

If you like to turn your Rat up to 11, then an OP07 will sound about the same. I hear the difference at low gain, on the cusp where the opamp stops clipping and the diodes take over. YMMV.

BTW, the Voodoo-1 uses an LM308, but an MC3476 sounds nearly identical in that circuit.
Goddammit, Chuck 🤣

Well there’s tonight’s plan - I’m going to try to hear a difference.

At risk of causing another stampede...

airplane-phone-booth.gif

... I recently bought four from Retroamplis. They're at least single opamps (different date codes) and sound fine. They were the last ones in the third of the three different LM308 items that are listed there now, so YMMV.

If you're in New England, I found some AMD metal can LM308s at Electronics Plus, an actual brick & mortar (mostly NTE) electronics shop in Littleton MA, a couple months ago. The owner said they were in the stock of a TV repair shop he bought up. I haven't tried them yet--can't bring myself to mangle the long leads in non-emergency conditions--so again YMMV. I trust the guy though, and who doesn't love an old school electronics shop. He had one set of five left.

There's also the NTE938, which, standard uncertainties apply I guess.

Last edited:
Preliminary investigation leads me to conclude that I do not hear a difference between OP07 and lm308 at high gain. Or really at medium gain. I do hear a difference at lower gain with the filter about 75% but I’m looking for words to explain it. Stay tuned. Or maybe I’ll start a thread.

There's also the NTE938, which, standard uncertainties apply I guess.
The NTE938 datasheet is sparse to say the least. While they don't claim it's equivalent to anything, the specs imply that it's an LM308. Without more info, I can't say one way or the other.

Preliminary investigation leads me to conclude that I do not hear a difference between OP07 and lm308 at high gain. Or really at medium gain. I do hear a difference at lower gain with the filter about 75% but I’m looking for words to explain it. Stay tuned. Or maybe I’ll start a thread.

I don't want to lead the witness, so I'll keep my observations to myself for the moment.

I have a pretty good idea why the MC3476 works in the Voodoo-1 and not it the Rat. It comes down to the current limiting resistor between the opamp and the diodes. It's 1K in the Rat & 10K in the Voodoo-1. The LM308 can handle the higher output current while the MC3476 cannot.

You're right, we're drifting off-topic.

Back