Any current sources for LM308 out there?

I know there's been a bit of discussion about that you don't hear a difference in a Rat between OP07 and LM308, however the master @Chuck D. Bones has some designs like the Voodoo Woman in the boneyard that runs just right on the ol' 308 or may LM108.
Any legit sources out there that you guys could recommend?
Cheers for hints.

How many do you need? I've got 8 of them and can send some to you.

I know there's been a bit of discussion about that you don't hear a difference in a Rat between OP07 and LM308, however the master @Chuck D. Bones has some designs like the Voodoo Woman in the boneyard that runs just right on the ol' 308 or may LM108.
Any legit sources out there that you guys could recommend?
Cheers for hints.
This is a US based Ebayer that I've purchased from. He's legit. But they're pricey.
LM308

I might also be interested, although I'd probably settle just for one so I can compare it with OP07's. I've tried looking every now and then but never found anything trustworthy. Anything in any EU Ebay or Amazon? I assume Aliexpress is right out.

Metal can… Motorola… cool green packaging… the recommend from @MichaelW for the secret eBay dealer… super duper Rat builds… everything here is calling my name… except I know @Betty Wont will laugh at me. ☹️

So what? mojo parts are just a bit of fun. Spending $10 on an out of production chip or some magic diodes is better than paying scalpers insane money for a Ltd edition pedal.

I bought a bunch of metal can LM308s from Small Bear not so long ago and I'm ashamed to admit I can't hear much difference between them and a CA3130 in a Rat build. But for Mojo they score very highly in my book. I think metal can ICs are way cooler than CC resistors.

So what? mojo parts are just a bit of fun. Spending $10 on an out of production chip or some magic diodes is better than paying scalpers insane money for a Ltd edition pedal.
It’s fun sometimes and if building a repro, it’s doubly so. I mean I have a supply of mojo transistors and diodes lol

That said, I do agree that buying a lm308 for $$$ just to build a rat bc it sounds “better” than X or Y is … delusional? Too strong a word? 😂

That said, I do agree that buying a lm308 for $$$ just to build a rat bc it sounds “better” than X or Y is … delusional? Too strong a word? 😂

Why is it delusional? Sometimes you need to try things for yourself and if all it costs you is $10 it's not the end of the world if you can hear a difference or not IMO.

For me it's no different than putting cool looking caps on my tone pot. I know I can't hear a difference between some PIO and a cheaper ceramic cap but IMO it looks cool and that's good enough for me. I also specify zebra bobbins and nickel covers anytime I order humbuckers knowing that they'll probably never see the light of day but I know they're there and I think it looks cool. Out of all the humbuckers I've ordered I've only removed the covers once.

PXL_20230626_223752441.jpg

Why is it delusional? Sometimes you need to try things for yourself and if all it costs you is $10 it's not the end of the world if you can hear a difference or not IMO.

For me it's no different than putting cool looking caps on my tone pot. I know I can't hear a difference between some PIO and a cheaper ceramic cap but IMO it looks cool and that's good enough for me. I also specify zebra bobbins and nickel covers anytime I order humbuckers knowing that they'll probably never see the light of day but I know they're there and I think it looks cool. Out of all the humbuckers I've ordered I've only removed the covers once.

View attachment 52491
I've got a '205H' 🤘

I've got a '205H' 🤘

I modded the OD channel to Od1 specs from the 410 instead of the Od2 the 2 series comes with. It's only 1 resistor, 2 caps and well worth doing IMO. It's less compressed, more open and the midrange is in the right place. I found switching from crunch to OD sounded weird because of the shift in the midrange between the two channels.

What speakers are you using with yours Tim?

I modded the OD channel to Od1 specs from the 410 instead of the Od2 the 2 series comes with. It's only 1 resistor, 2 caps and well worth doing IMO. It's less compressed, more open and the midrange is in the right place. I found switching from crunch to OD sounded weird because of the shift in the midrange between the two channels.

What speakers are you using with yours Tim?
Please send me that mod if you get a chance to. It's atop a 1936V with the 2-G12 vintage Celestions.

View attachment 52491
No, I just meant there’s no need to spend on a nos lm308 in order to build a rat. I worry that new builders in particular may feel they need to drop $70 to get a nos chip shipped when a plain old OP07 will be perfectly good. That’s all.

Back