Assembling Parts Lists?

dpsnacks

Good morning everyone, happy Friday. I've got about a dozen PCBs in front of me and I'm ready to gather up my first order(s) to get the components for these builds. What's the most efficient way to build a shopping list in a situation like this? Some of the build docs have "shopping lists" (e.g. two 4.7k resistors, six 390k resistors) but most of the PedalPCB docs just have the parts list, not grouped together. (Not complaining!)

Is there a shortcut that I'm not thinking about? Do I just have to sit with a tally sheet and count 'em up? I feel like that would take two hours lol.

If you're like me, and I imagine most people who post on the board, you'll end up with a decent stockpile of common components as you build more pedals even if you're telling yourself now you're just gonna do these dozen (I think we all did the exact same). I've always assumed pedalpcb boards were more geared toward these kinds of builders because of the minimalist build docs (which in case it sounds otherwise, I genuinely prefer). Long way of saying you might only have to worry about turning a ton of BOMs into shopping lists once or twice, I hope it's a hobby that brings you as much joy as it brings me.

For builds with a lot of components I usually print off a component count along with the build docs.

What I do is basically copy and paste the BOM into a single plain text file (in this case you'd be doing all dozen of them), remove the component prefixes (R1, R2, C1, C2 ...) and then use a frequency counter that runs on each line. A Word Frequency tool can do the second part of this. You can skip the first part, but I find it easier to use the results if you don't skip it.

If you're familiar with regular expressions this pattern will match all prefixes other than electromechanical items and rarer components to make an easy find and replace.
Code:
^(R|C|D|IC|Q)\d+\s/m

I'm sure there's other ways but this has been my go to and it takes me no time at all. The longest part of it is usually how annoying it can be to copy and paste from a pdf doc.

Last edited:
I basically copy the PDF in a text document and count them, then put the result in an excel file, then highlight the different component I already have or need to order in a different colour. When I sort out builds I highlight in a third colour to know they are accounted for in the “build bag”…

my excel fil has now way too much tabs, as every order gets a new one, which means I’m not great I’m doing big orders and/or refraining myself to line up new pedals I don’t really need but want to build or try…

Thanks for your help, both.

you'll end up with a decent stockpile of common components as you build more pedals even if you're telling yourself now you're just gonna do these dozen
I'm hoping that's the case - in fact, the only reason I'm not just buying a big pile of pseudo-random parts is that I'm worried I'll forget a component, having never done this before.

If you're familiar with regular expressions
haha, I definitely am not - at least, I don't know what that string means. Could you elaborate on that a bit?

With a dozen builds, you probably want to get a resistor assortment 1/4watt 1% metal film.
24 - 1/4" jacks, 12 - DC jacks, at least 12 LEDs....knobs (but that should wait for design)...

With a dozen builds, you probably want to get a resistor assortment 1/4watt 1% metal film.
24 - 1/4" jacks, 12 - DC jacks, at least 12 LEDs....knobs (but that should wait for design)...
I just wanted to add to this for @dpsnacks that there are some builds that call for 1/8w resistors and while the 1/4w resistors will work fine they will need to be stood up to fit, which can be tough on the first few builds when trying to get your bearings.

I'm stealing that book idea.

I ordered parts for 3 pedals to begin. I don't know that its efficient, but i created an excel work sheet with columns for each part, then went through the lists of each pcb. then ordered from that. I don't know how effective it is, because i ended up missing a resistor or 2. but its what i'm doing until i find a better way

I found an old album with NBA cards from the early nineties, and I repurposed it for my component. The Tayda resistor bags are a perfect fit.

I've seen someone use baseball card sleeves and then a box before but this is so much better. Regretting that I took all of my resistors are off the tape paper they came in to get them to fit into my parts cabinet drawers better rn

Reactions: fig
I'm stealing that book idea.

I ordered parts for 3 pedals to begin. I don't know that its efficient, but i created an excel work sheet with columns for each part, then went through the lists of each pcb. then ordered from that. I don't know how effective it is, because i ended up missing a resistor or 2. but its what i'm doing until i find a better way
Careful, if you miss something and have to do another order of parts, you’ll tell yourself “Why don’t I order stuff for another build?” That’s how it starts!

@finebyfine that’s how it looks in my binder. I have most of my component in there.
5C1B008B-FA05-479E-BF4F-BC3CDE4A7BF4.jpeg

When I started the hobby, I went full commitment and checked out various DIY sites that have beginner-guides and/or with a suggested list of components to get (Beavis, GuitarPCB...).

Then like a Great Northern Pike I lay in wait for the wee froggy Tayda sales to swim by on the calendar. GULP!

Oh, and I bought PCBs, a LOT of PCBs... and eventually a few kits, too, where it was easier to make sure I had all the rare components already included and didn't need to special order them (like flangers). With the parts stash I was already accumulating, I could make mods (or replace/repair components I fried as I learned — still fryin' & learnin'!). I even bought 1/8w resistors, in preparation for the 1590A builds I was schemin' up. Always order extra, so you don't go hungry if something wriggles out of your grasp and vanishes under some kelp, uh, cabinet or chest-of-drawers, bed or other large immovable object where you solder.

This has proved to be worthwhile for me, as I was interested in getting the Low Tide (Shallow Water) and I was lazy and hesitated on getting some 3207 ICs (the last 2 at Electric Druid). Of course they were gone and other places rapidly sold out as PPCB forumites snapped them up when the Low Tide was released. However, I hadn't checked my ICs doc (simple good ol TextEdit! FTR!) and apparently at some point I bought 4 3207s knowing I was going to build some more flangers at some point... Now I just need a couple easier-to-get ICs for the Low Tide.

STOCKPILE!
Years in advance.

Wish I'd done that with TH J201s, but they were already pricey and scarce when I started the hobby.

Reactions: fig
Then like a Great Northern Pike I lay in wait for the wee froggy Tayda sales to swim by on the calendar.
Where's the best place to learn about the Tayda sales? Their Facebook page, where the codes used to come out, says that the last code was about 14 months ago.

Another time / dollar / brain saver is to only buy 1MΩ pots. Linear, taper, or reverse-taper. Then use this chart (or if you can do it in your head) to reduce to correct value, by soldering the correct resistor from lug 1 to lug 3. I used common value resistors to get close, and listed the actual yields. The chart assumes a 1MΩ starting value.

1621090914185.png

(solder to under-side).

Edit: I've been told this is not a good idea. I use it, but cannot suggest it as a solid practice. :)

Last edited:
Where's the best place to learn about the Tayda sales? Their Facebook page, where the codes used to come out, says that the last code was about 14 months ago.

As far as I know...
They haven't had a sale since getting hammered by Covid, no point in having a sale-spike when most of your workers are at home...
Once the modern scourge is under control and everything levels out to the "new normal", I'm guessing Tayda may resume sales.

Back