Byzantium Flanger

mybud

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
A long and perhaps obsessively detailed report. Hope it's useful to those about to take this on.

I spent the weekend building this wonderful machine. (Happy Thanksgiving to our US-based friends meanwhile.)

About two months ago, I ordered some special low height elcaps from Mouser as recommended, ensuring that they met the detailed height specs in the parts list.

pcbs.jpg

Mildly daunting, not so?

bbd_pcb_01.jpg

One board at a time is best for me. I wanted to try some test fits beforehand, to make sure that the bottom board is lying flat and true.

test_fit_01.jpg

First step (Saturday), I almost completed the BBD board, leaving off the pots and headers for the time being to give myself some space to work with for later.

bbd_pcb_02.jpg

Fitting the headers was less difficult than I assumed. There's a trick.

test_fit_02.jpg

I've built a couple of Eurorack modules with stacked boards before. What I learnt there was to assemble the headers and then solder both ends when satisfied that the two boards are well aligned and lying flat, crucial here because of the space constraints around the height of 'the sandwich.'

test_fit_03.jpg

In testing there was no sound initially because I had waited to solder the final six pin header joining the top board to the footswitch till last. Once this was done, some awesome flangery sounds emerged, as if by magic. Before assembling though, I'd also set the trimmers halfway-ish beforehand (one of @Betty Wont's great tips for noting) and this helped to get in the ballpark and get the flanging going from the outset.

test_fit_04.jpg

And the box closes without issue. Hooray!

Almost there. I'll address the LED fitting later (for which I have soldered some extended leads), some trimming and tweaking as necessary, and finally the PSU assembly and jacks.

test_fit_05.jpg

The nearly finished product. Had to be purple in honour of the original, naturally. I used a pre-drilled enclosure with the LED space different from the drill template, hence the need for the extended LED wires.

Anyone who's had the patience to read this far must be chafing to know how it sounds. Absolutely amazing to my ears. Rich, juicy, harmonic sweep and some outlandish stuff at extreme settings. Besides all that, it's an extraordinary engineering feat on the part of @Robert to realise this circuit and make it so DIY-friendly. I also gained a lot (as usual) from @MichaelW's previous build reports and his detailed pics.

'Nuff said. Thanks for reading and best to all. NGBS: a flanger (or two, if you like).

I love flangers but haven't taken any on yet. Great writeup. Thanks for sharing!

You’re most welcome. BBD-based circuits can be troublesome to bias so there’s probably room for some final tweaks to get cleanest flange effect. I’m mostly just relieved that it fits the enclosure and stoked that it sounds so good 😊 🎸

I almost ordered this board in my last order, but the absence of build docs, including not being to download the parts lists doc (at least not on my phone which downloads every other build doc just fine) prevented me from doing so. I've learned to check parts lists ahead of time so I don't wind up with pcbs that need rare/expensive/obsolete parts in my backlog. Anyone know if the build doc and/or parts list is available?

try a diff platform than the phone, the sale page has the parts list AND only 'oddball' stuff is certain capacitors have a max height requirement, rest is standard order fair from tayda/mouser/muskiding/digikey/stompboxparts/smallbear and the BBD chips are x3207/x3102 pair most places have or straight from cabintech.

I almost ordered this board in my last order, but the absence of build docs, including not being to download the parts lists doc (at least not on my phone which downloads every other build doc just fine) prevented me from doing so. I've learned to check parts lists ahead of time so I don't wind up with pcbs that need rare/expensive/obsolete parts in my backlog. Anyone know if the build doc and/or parts list is available?

Here's the schematic. It doesn't use any obsolete or rare parts, and besides being two boards, it's fairly straightforward
1000018483.png

Here is the link for the parts list if it opens for you here https://docs.pedalpcb.com/project/Byzantium-PartsList.pdf

I agree. I've bought so many boards that needed absolutely unobtainable parts -- many of which I've spent way too much money obtaining from foreign suppliers -- that it's not worth it. I highly recommend checking the part availability before ordering any pcb.

Great job! Thanks for the pro-tip about joining the boards first, then soldering both sides for clearance check/test!

Back