AVRdude hex file help

Diynot

Ok, so I am trying to upload the hex file provided by Parasit for his Bitbreaker deluxe and I am at my wits end. I am using a USBtiny programming stick (that was kindly sent to me by none other than @fig) and after a couple of days have gotten the right downloads and setup for AVRdude to talk to the programmer, but the vital part missing is it can’t find the hex file to upload. I have tried saving the file directly on the C drive, on the desktop, in the Arduino ide temp folder, documents, downloads, everywhere I can think of, but avrdude still returns a “can’t find the file”. What am I missing!? Also, if I have copied the bootloader to the attiny85 via IDE and then run the avrdude, does that erase the bootloader? Any help appreciated (@damianvila i’m sort of looking at you, but I know you are running Mac and I’m on Windows so it will no doubt be different).

For posterity’s sake when specifying the file in the -U flash:w: (file.hex):i command, file.hex does need to be the full file path. According to avrdude I successfully(?) uploaded the code, sadly though the Bitbreaker remains broken. It is still questionable whether the bootloader remained on the chip since I loaded it first and then used the -D to prevent erasing the chip before uploading the hex. Or my Vero build is just bunk…..meh

In my case, I used a Uno as ISP to upload the sketches. I found it easier and gave me no problems. I used sketches, not hexes, because I developed them myself, but uploading an hex should be as easy, afaik.

The library I used for the process was ATTinyCore: https://github.com/SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore
Lots of useful info there. I recommend it, if you’re not using it.

Iirc, you burn the bootloader the first time, and then it stays there, but since I didn’t use hex files, it may be possible that writing them overwrites the whole memory space.

In my case, I used a Uno as ISP to upload the sketches. I found it easier and gave me no problems. I used sketches, not hexes, because I developed them myself, but uploading an hex should be as easy, afaik.

The library I used for the process was ATTinyCore: https://github.com/SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore
Lots of useful info there. I recommend it, if you’re not using it.

Iirc, you burn the bootloader the first time, and then it stays there, but since I didn’t use hex files, it may be possible that writing them overwrites the whole memory space.
Thanks for the info, I will have to check it out. I have a generic (Amazon Elegoo) Uno that I was trying to use, but it didn’t seem to be playing nice with IDE. From what I have read, avrdude erases the chip memory before writing unless told not to. This was a deep rabbit hole for one little pedal (that isn’t even functional yet).

Thanks for the info, I will have to check it out. I have a generic (Amazon Elegoo) Uno that I was trying to use, but it didn’t seem to be playing nice with IDE. From what I have read, avrdude erases the chip memory before writing unless told not to. This was a deep rabbit hole for one little pedal (that isn’t even functional yet).
Bear in mind that most Arduino clones use the CH340 chip for USB communication, while original Arduinos use FTDI. I had to install the signed WCH drivers to use my Uno, and that’s the worst part of the whole process, since Apple changed driver security polices a lot in recent releases of MacOS. Windows should be simpler, I guess.

Back