Baritone Brothers....got (a new) question....

All of my guitars are 29.75 - 30.5", but I like D'addario EXL148 for B / drop A tuning. Those might be a bit light for you, so I'd suggest the EXL158 or Ernie Ball Baritone sets

I dunno, B-to-B? What's typical for 28"? Assume I'm as ignorant about Bari's as I look..... :ROFLMAO:
I'd try the Ernie Ball set first. They're generally the cheapest and most readily available.
I'm a fan of thinner strings for their more aggressive attack

@DGWVI 30.5"??
You must have the wingspan of a silverback 🦍
My li'l B-b is 26.75" and it takes 12-68

Tain't no thing :ROFLMAO:
1000013910.jpg

Easy for you to say, Paul Bunyan- that thing would dwarf me!
I just checked and that's about the exact reach of my hand on the 26.75"

To be fair- my shitty nerves don't really like the big stretches, 😅 so I end up using modified and compacted chords most of the time

Do the Ernie Ball strings come with a nose ring?

You gotta forge em yourself with the offcuts

I dunno, B-to-B? What's typical for 28"? Assume I'm as ignorant about Bari's as I look..... :ROFLMAO:
B E A D F♯ B I believe is standard but on a 28” you could probably do A D G C E A just fine as My 7 string on the B is 27.25” and I tune down to G D G C F A D with no problem.

Ok, I ordered some Ernie Ball 13-72 sets. I'll start there and see where we go......
I’m about as new to this as you are and I ordered a couple sets from Stringjoy 13.5 to 64. The 64 feels MASSIVE compared to a 46 but still not like a bass string. The combination of the wider fret spacing and the bigger strings is definitely an adjustment.

Also something to consider is the tuner holes may not be large enough for the 72 depending what brand you get. I use the hipshot open gear locking tuners and the 64 fits… tightly

Now that I think about it, I’m surprised people always do A or B standard, and never Bb. Would be great for jazz stuff since it would be ideal for playing baritone parts in horn-friendly keys

Also something to consider is the tuner holes may not be large enough for the 72 depending what brand you get. I use the hipshot open gear locking tuners and the 64 fits… tightly

This is something to consider. I use the Hipshots, and I have had to ream them out for 72+. No big deal, just a second with a 1/8" bit.

I've also had to ream out the holes on the bridge, but most of mine are flat-mount toploaders

This is something to consider. I use the Hipshots, and I have had to ream them out for 72+. No big deal, just a second with a 1/8" bit.

I've also had to ream out the holes on the bridge, but most of mine are flat-mount toploaders
Yep I was about ready to drill them but luckily it fit. Mine is a tele though so I’d have to drill the ferrules and bridge out too if it didn’t fit.

Yep I was about ready to drill them but luckily it fit. Mine is a tele though so I’d have to drill the ferrules and bridge out too if it didn’t fit.
I had to drill the ferrules on my Firefly JM30. Same process as the tuners though

Back