Baritone Brothers....got (a new) question....

I last installed stringjoy baritone medium balanced(14-64) on my 28 Jericho tuned AEADEA, aka Bari White DADGAD.
Was my first time trying stringjoy. Super happy with the strings and they do custom sets. I have a couple others to try out, eventually.
Inc a set of 16-72 to see if I can intonate drop F/Fb on the Chapman.
3 packs gets you free shipping. Came out to $41 for me. + Since we're both in Nashville, I got them next day... 🤘
Oh, and they're plenty long for Baris. Should be fine on a 30 with locking tuners

ok, so that EB set were "Mediums" and the 62 low B (or A) string got me thinking, that's pretty massive for a standard guitar tuner.

So I also ordered a set of Daddario "Jazz Mediums" which are 13-56. Well see which works best.
I haven't ordered the tuners for this neck yet, but since it's a Tele neck, I'll probably stay with vintage style tuners.

ok, so that EB set were "Mediums" and the 62 low B (or A) string got me thinking, that's pretty massive for a standard guitar tuner.

So I also ordered a set of Daddario "Jazz Mediums" which are 13-56. Well see which works best.
I haven't ordered the tuners for this neck yet, but since it's a Tele neck, I'll probably stay with vintage style tuners.
If they're split shafts, you most likely won't have to do any reaming. The Wilkinson and Fender branded versions I've used have been able to take up to an 95 in my experience

I very recently put a fender bari neck on my MIM tele. I think they advertise it as 27” scale but it’s a little shorter IIRC.

I’m using the mammoth slinky 12-62s for B-standard tuning because that’s what fender ships on their Squier baritones, though I might actually bump up to the slightly heavier set. The tension on the two low strings feels a bit too low to me and they can get a little floppy.

I’m using fender locking tuners and am ~75% sure I had to drill out the lowest one. The fact that I can’t entirely remember suggests that it was pretty painless. I definitely didn’t have to touch the ferrules, thankfully.

Ok my baritone brothers, got another question.

I was originally thinking about converting my Dual P90 Tele into a baritone since I've seen to have acquired a bunch of other P90 guitars.
But I was just playing that guitar and re-fell in love with it.

So....I've got some options. I have a set of Firebird pickups that came out of my Epiphone bird that are actually quite good.
Or, I have a set of Filtertron pickups that I could use.
Or.....I could just go straight Tele pickup set up with some hotter Tele pickups.

Since we're talking about a new build anyway, should I trem or not trem? I was thinking on a Tele body with any of the above pickup options, a short Bigsby would be cool. Especially if I use the Filtertrons.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? I'm open to ideas since this is becoming a Greenfield project.

TIA!!

Ok my baritone brothers, got another question.

I was originally thinking about converting my Dual P90 Tele into a baritone since I've seen to have acquired a bunch of other P90 guitars.
But I was just playing that guitar and re-fell in love with it.

So....I've got some options. I have a set of Firebird pickups that came out of my Epiphone bird that are actually quite good.
Or, I have a set of Filtertron pickups that I could use.
Or.....I could just go straight Tele pickup set up with some hotter Tele pickups.

Since we're talking about a new build anyway, should I trem or not trem? I was thinking on a Tele body with any of the above pickup options, a short Bigsby would be cool. Especially if I use the Filtertrons.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? I'm open to ideas since this is becoming a Greenfield project.

TIA!!

If I were to build another Tele baritone, I'd go with the traditional bridge pickup and probably an SD Lipstick in the neck

The Filtertrons could be cool, though

As for vibratos, I've never been a huge fan of them outside of the offset style tailpieces

I really like the D’Addario 14-68 set, tuned to B; but I play 11s or 12s on most guitars, so for 10s, a 13-set would be closer to what you want. I’m not a D’Addario user typically, but I’ve really liked these strings, and haven’t tried any others.

I think Firebird Pups could be pretty great on a Baritone. I’m using the Wilde Alnico Microcoil Tele set, which I love, but the Bari thinline hollow body I’m having made (just another 14 or 15 months away!) is gonna have Lollar Goldfoils. I think lipstick pups are great on Baritones also.

I‘m pretty much more a fixed bridge person, but a bigsby would be the way to go.

Edited to add: mine is a thinline Tele Body. No way of knowing how it affects the sound, but I want to think that there is a bit more body to the notes.

IMHO a Tele bridge pup is perfect for baritone. I’d be inclined to go with a firebird pickup or filtertron for the neck (actually, Tele bridge and firebird neck is my likely pairing for my upcoming Bari Tele build), but a neck lipstick coil could be a great option for some longhorn style sounds. Definitely go for the bridge Tele pickup though, and be sure to build a nice silicon fuzzrite to go with it ;)

@MichaelW Go full insane-o like me on my two bass vi’s and throw actives in it 😈 I’m pretty settled in the “always go for actives” camp but I really do think baris get such a big benefit from them

Edit: also go full bass vi 30” scale imho. Really easy to convert teles and strats and if you dig baris already you’ll fall in love

@MichaelW Go full insane-o like me on my two bass vi’s and throw actives in it 😈 I’m pretty settled in the “always go for actives” camp but I really do think baris get such a big benefit from them

Edit: also go full bass vi 30” scale imho. Really easy to convert teles and strats and if you dig baris already you’ll fall in love

The full 30" is awesome for baritones. Much more twang and snappy pick attack with lighter strings

The full 30" is awesome for baritones. Much more twang and snappy pick attack with lighter strings

What strings do you like for 30s? I’m partial to flats and I think I’ve tried all vi flat sets but wouldn’t mind some round options up my sleeve. D’adarrio VIs are nice but a little heavy for my taste

Back