Binaura Stereo FV-1

How do FV-1 effects compare to an Eventide H9? Has anyone done an A/B comparison with similar algorithms?

The Eventide is far more powerful than the FV-1. This doesn't necessarily equate to better quality, but it would be capable of much more going on at the same time (more complex algorithms / simultaneous effects to achieve a particular sound)...

I would imagine aside from subjectivity or the possibility of a specialized FV-1 patch that the H9 just doesn't have, that in most cases the H9 would be superior...

the FV-1 was developed in part to serve a DIY market. one of the men who was a driving force behind its development, Keith Barr, passed away in 2010, at a point where at least some preliminary work was being done on a next gen chip. Having a chip that old still drive a lot of pedals, including new designs, is remarkable. Here is a link that tells a bit more about Keith Barr and includes links within it to some more information about the FV-1: https://valhalladsp.com/2010/08/25/rip-keith-barr/

As far as I know, nothing comparable for a one-chip device using the updated processing power and memory is in development for the DIY market.

the FV-1 was developed in part to serve a DIY market. one of the men who was a driving force behind its development, Keith Barr, passed away in 2010, at a point where at least some preliminary work was being done on a next gen chip. Having a chip that old still drive a lot of pedals, including new designs, is remarkable. Here is a link that tells a bit more about Keith Barr and includes links within it to some more information about the FV-1: https://valhalladsp.com/2010/08/25/rip-keith-barr/

As far as I know, nothing comparable for a one-chip device using the updated processing power and memory is in development for the DIY market.
So I'm not sure how diy friendly this is going to be, but this looks like something that is trying to be a more powerful (albeit more complicated and more expensive) version of an fv-1. Maybe someday I'll be smart enough to figure this kind of stuff out ?

I was just about to comment about the upcoming FXCore.

It does look quite a bit more powerful than the FV-1, but that comes at a price.... it's going to be a little more complicated to work with since it's not a single-IC solution. With that said, I'm waiting on the development board to become available so we can check it out.

Another hopefully promising development is the upcoming Daisy module.

Is Binaura still going to be released? I notice it's listed under the "Coming Soon" tab.

Is Binaura still going to be released? I notice it's listed under the "Coming Soon" tab.
I'd imagine with the Daisy Seed stuff having come out that this project isn't getting a lot of attention anymore, but I may be speaking out of turn.

Seems like the board will be available soon, and this may be just the thing for folks that have some FV-1 chips already sitting in their inventory.

Thanks for the update.

I’m assuming you already have some kind of stereo tremolo.

A stereo chorus would be good.
One delay line per channel, LFO inverted for one channel.
Controls could be LFO Rate, LFO Depth and either Stereo Width or Delay Time.
Worth looking at old string machines to see how they implemented chorus.
Some used a 3-phase LFO (or even two of them, one at a different rate and amplitude) to modulate the delay time of three BBDs.

Perhaps stereo delay lines where the amplitude of the input signal, via an envelope follower, modulates the delay time.
Think My Bloody Valentine vibrato arm strumming.

Perhaps stereo delay lines where the amplitude of the input signal, via an envelope follower, modulates the delay time.
Think My Bloody Valentine vibrato arm strumming.
That’s a bit like a trick I like to do for a dynamic stereo detune effect— an envelope follower triggers a relatively slow (50+ Millisecond sweep) pitch bend going from 0 to at most around 10¢ of bend, going up on one side, and down on the other, achievable by either modulating stereo delay lines in opposite directions, or plain old digital pitch shift (though that’s not quite as easy). It’s a really cool sound, and it would be interesting to see if it could be done with the Binaura.

This is exactly what I have been looking for to host some of my stereo fv1 algorithms.

Coming soon, or could boards be available before the programs are if you have your own programs already?

This is exactly what I have been looking for to host some of my stereo fv1 algorithms.

Coming soon, or could boards be available before the programs are if you have your own programs already?

The PCBs have been ready for a few months now, I just don't have a full set of stereo algorithms yet.

Definitely very eager for this one to become available.
Gonna have to start learning how to program stuff— a delay with independent delay times on each side would be sick. As would a normal stereo delay that can auto-pan at a rate independent from the delay time (ctl 1- delay time, ctl 2, feedback, ctl 3, pan speed).

Definitely very eager for this one to become available.
Gonna have to start learning how to program stuff— a delay with independent delay times on each side would be sick. As would a normal stereo delay that can auto-pan at a rate independent from the delay time (ctl 1- delay time, ctl 2, feedback, ctl 3, pan speed).

Yes, I’m keen to get my hands on this and start learning to program the FV-1.
Sean Costello’s talks on YouTube about reverb topologies are fascinating and worth watching if you haven’t checked them out already.

Back