DEMO Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh (Aion FX)

This post contains an audio or video demo

jwyles90

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Hey all! Finished up this Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh build over the weekend. When I first fired it up I was getting this whine coming through the signal. After some digging around with an audio probe it seemed to be coming directly from the DC jack itself. I tried using a different power supply and that reduced the whine quite a bit, but not completely. I might go back and swap out the DC jack entirely, but for now it's not really noticeable unless I've got the volume up quite a bit and the fuzz maxed, so it'll do.
IMG_8864-PhotoRoom.png
IMG_8846-PhotoRoom.png
My understanding of this circuit is that it's essentially a Big Muff with a more useable tone sweep/high-end control. Overall I like how it sounds, especially since it has a few different clipping diode options (germanium, silicon, no diodes) and what is essentially a high gain or low gain voicing mode. All in all, it's fairly versatile while still hanging out in the Big Muff realm.

I also decided to record a few sound bites for this one, albeit on my phone so the quality might not be the best. One is is using the low gain, germanium clipping mode for some good ol’ fashioned dad rock blues licks. The other is a high gain, silicon clipping with the fuzz up so you can get a sense of the pedal's range. Cranking the gain might not be the best setting to record on the phone, but it’s the most fun to play so it’ll have to do.

Killer!

Gotta get me some more black hardware now.

I've got rubber toggle-switch covers that are black, which would be a quick cheap option for anybody that wants to retro-black their build a bit.

If you find any rubber walrus protectors...

... Call the police!

Back