Bogner La Grange

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
Has anybody built one? There are a whole slew of schematics on FSB. Some of them look like they might resemble the actual production pedal. This is going into my ever-growing breadboard queue.

Has anybody built one? There are a whole slew of schematics on FSB. Some of them look like they might resemble the actual production pedal. This is going into my ever-growing breadboard queue.
I’ve had a few people write me and ask me if I could build one… I think I’d be worth looking into… seems pretty cool…

I'm pretty sure guesswork / estimation has been done on the SMD values, I've avoided the existing schematics for that reason. (Isn't that the one with the gooped brick?)

Even if it works, is it right? ....

I'll put it on my list of stuff to look out for.

Nope, nevermind, it does have the brick but it's not the one I was thinking of (no SMD).

Now I remember, what's all the back and forth with schematic revisions about?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya.
Seems like there is a good chance it's an opamp gain stage followed by a Briggs COT50 mod, then a Box of Rocks with a couple slight tweaks. And a SHO booster at the end.

This is the one that has the high failure rate. Not sure if it's the BS170 or charge pump...

A friend wanted me to build one for him because he was afraid an original might turn into a brick. :ROFLMAO:

I'm a little concerned about the schematic(s), but I'll take a good look and then maybe just grab one for a trace.... after I clear out some of the stuff that's already sitting here waiting on me.

Looking at the schematic, I don't see any reason for a high failure rate, so it must be the build quality. I'll tell you this: if it's not done exactly right, goop can damage circuits, especially SMD stuff, because the differential expansion rates will break parts. I've seen it with conformal coat on hi-rel boards.

I don't see why it takes two charge pumps, that's just asking for trouble. The Klon makes +18V and -9V from one charge pump. I'd do it that way.

Looking at the schematic, I don't see any reason for a high failure rate, so it must be the build quality. I'll tell you this: if it's not done exactly right, goop can damage circuits, especially SMD stuff, because the differential expansion rates will break parts. I've seen it with conformal coat on hi-rel boards.
Absolutely, it's a real nightmare.

Just thought I’d chime in - I worked at a music store for awhile and I remember putting in an order for some Bogner pedals including 3 of the Wessex. Two of the those three had bad footswitches! I was incredulous. They felt terrible too, worse than even the cheapest I’ve bought for myself. The pedal sounded really nice, but I just couldn’t believe that they weren’t caught by QC.

I think a lotta commercial electronics mfgrs (not just pedal builders) use their customers as QC.

My first job outta college was at a commercial mfgr of garage door opener transmitters and receivers. They made over a hundred thousand receivers every year. They took QC seriously and had 4 or 5 people full-time performing inspection and sample testing.

K Pedals alerted me to the fact that a Dutch company is marketing a La Grange clone. You can find their Build Docs here. While the schematic looks complete & correct, Lithium Grim obtained the schematic from online forums.

I think this one comes after we get a Strawberry Red OD PCB.

And I think that has to be the gentlest nagging of all time. 🤪

Back