SOLVED Boneyard Delegate not doing much compressing

The Gator

I know it is probably not going to be as strong as a Dynacomp, but I feel like it is not doing much compressing. The level and sustain both have to be turned up half way to hear it get to unity gain.
I used the same blacked out plastic cap that I made to test my electrovibe to cover the led and the GL5516 LDR. I can see the led lights up when I turn the ratio and attack almost all the way off.
I am using a difused green led, a GL5516 LDR, and the optional red leds.
Right now it's like a nice clean boost pedal, not much compression.
I will say the GL5516 LDRs I bought have a high dark resistance. In complete darkness it is well over 2M ohms

Attachments

• 20221218_213351.jpg
    20221218_213351.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221218_213424.jpg
    20221218_213424.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hey man I’m curious where you got your LDR GL5516 - I built a General Tso recently which is also an optical compressor based on the GL5516 and I am having the exact same problem, it doesn’t seem to be compressing almost at all compared to online demos.

I measured my LDRs and got similar dark resistance measurements, some over 2meg, but I got them from Amazon and I’m not sure they’re real gl5516, the actual gl5516 data sheet says their dark resistance is only supposed to be 500k. I’m wondering if the LDR is the problem but I haven’t been able to find any legitimate source for the GL5516 anywhere… sorry I don’t have an answer for ya but wanted to commiserate/find out if you had solved this.

EDIT: after some more digging around it looks like folks have had good luck with these in the Delegate and Tso - https://www.taydaelectronics.com/photo-conductive-cell-resistor-ldr-650nm-radial-ke-10720.html

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply!
I believe you are correct. Thank you for the link. It sounds really good. I just have to max out the settings.
I will have to try those on my next tayda order. Thank you again

Gator

Try measuring the light resistance of the LDRs too. You want them to get blow 10K in bright room light. Some crappy LDRs have light resistance that too high for use in a compressor. The Delegate is capable of a large amount of compression/sustain if the SUSTAIN and RATIO are turned up. You have to test the pedal either with the box closed up tight or in total darkness.

The Tso does not make as much compression/sustain as the Delegate, but it makes more than enough for most folks. They are both good optical compressors.

Thank you for the reply!
Yeah I tried to just use a cover. I need to box it up and try it.
I did order some different LDRs. The KE-107120 ones suggested.
But I plan on finishing up the enclosure tomorrow and will test it boxed up. I like the tone control capability. I am hoping this will be my go to compressor for my steel guitars.

Try measuring the light resistance of the LDRs too. You want them to get blow 10K in bright room light. Some crappy LDRs have light resistance that too high for use in a compressor. The Delegate is capable of a large amount of compression/sustain if the SUSTAIN and RATIO are turned up. You have to test the pedal either with the box closed up tight or in total darkness.

The Tso does not make as much compression/sustain as the Delegate, but it makes more than enough for most folks. They are both good optical compressors.
I'm curious, as always...

Does the dark resistance value been above 500K dark has an impact on the circuit ?

I also think I read something about the speed of the LDR going from high resistance to low also had an impact on the compression, is this correct ?

Once more, in English please.
Well I know my English isn't perfect, but really ?

Anyway, let's try this again:

I will say the GL5516 LDRs I bought have a high dark resistance. In complete darkness it is well over 2M ohms

I measured my LDRs and got similar dark resistance measurements, some over 2meg,

In both case here, they report an LDR that measure above the 500K specs of the GL5516. How does this impact the pedal functionality ?

Second question was, does the speed (response time) of the LDR impact the compression effect ?

thanks,

I appreciate everyone's input on this thread and most certainly do not want anyone "reported" for anything. I believe it sounds like we are all ready to move forward.
I ended up working late and not finishing the enclosure yet. I'll find time this weekend though, as it will be a bachelor's weekend. I am confident that this compressor is going to be my new favorite.
On a side note,
I think I have a "problem". Besides being addicted to caffeine, I am addicted to building PedalPCB circuits...lol
Hey we should play, "guess that circuit board"...

Attachments

• 20230112_200207.jpg
    20230112_200207.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's input on this thread and most certainly do not want anyone "reported" for anything. I believe it sounds like we are all ready to move forward.
I ended up working late and not finishing the enclosure yet. I'll find time this weekend though, as it will be a bachelor's weekend. I am confident that this compressor is going to be my new favorite.
On a side note,
I think I have a "problem". Besides being addicted to caffeine, I am addicted to building PedalPCB circuits...lol
Hey we should play, "guess that circuit board"...
Welcome to the club.... :ROFLMAO:

Yes indeed.
Just to clarify, I replaced the improper tolerance G5516 LDR with a KE-107120 from tayda and it most certainly is working. Lot's of compression on tap!
Just to clarify did you mean KE 10720 or KE 107120? Im building this compressor and i already have the KE 10720s. I just want to make sure this is what you meant and not KE107120! :LOL:

Back