Brassmaster Mods?

Very cool! When you said putting a jumper on either side of R21, did you mean putting the diodes to ground before or after that resistor?

Parallel, like in BMP. Could also rope a cap in there to tune what freqs are clipped.
Just an idea. Not sure how it would sound.
Screenshot_20231028-190413-611.png

Here's a vid of someone's prototypes where they compare Si and Ge(D9Es) in their BM. Looks like fuzzdog layout.

Si seems more splatty and Ge more compressed, no surprise.
IIRC, the Ge assmaster only changed Q2 and Q3 to Ge.
Thanks for posting that comparison.

I liked the Si better, until the Gary Numan was played, for which I liked the Ge.
Guess a toggle is in order; however, looking at the Madbean BoomBoom schematic, I'm not sure how easy it would be to swap diodes due to the way the diodes are interacting with the transformer. Maybe a 4PDT... Anyway, still looking at it, will try to figure something out when I'm awake.

Yep. Sorry. Slept in this morning after a loooong week. Was still crusty eyed typing that.
Hahah no worries, I've definitely said one when I meant the other before!
Thanks for posting that comparison.

I liked the Si better, until the Gary Numan was played, for which I liked the Ge.
Guess a toggle is in order; however, looking at the Madbean BoomBoom schematic, I'm not sure how easy it would be to swap diodes due to the way the diodes are interacting with the transformer. Maybe a 4PDT... Anyway, still looking at it, will try to figure something out when I'm awake.
It's Q2 and Q3 (according to the post you're responding to) that have been switched to germanium, not the diodes ;)

Hahah no worries, I've definitely said one when I meant the other before!

It's Q2 and Q3 (according to the post you're responding to) that have been switched to germanium, not the diodes ;)
Wait. Wait. Wait.
I feel my incoherent rambling may have confused everyone here...
Again.
The video is a diode swap.
The Malekko Ge version is a Q2 Q3 swap, *I think*
That's off memory, which isn't always trustworthy these days.
It's our there on the interwebs though. TGP or FSB

"Malekko replaces one of the transistors (don't know which one) and the diodes, in the unit I have it's an AC127 and 1N34's."

"The limited edition assmaster uses, (I believe), 2 germanium trannys along with 4 germanium diodes. I have some 1n34a's and a couple of Ac127's.
I'm guessing the trannys go in Q4 and Q5 of the ggg schematic. Anyone know for sure?"

On talkbass, Malekko himself" says AC187 and 1N34A

Found one other TGP post saying Ge goes in Q4 on fuzzdog schematic.

😸 Been browsing the forum again while sleeping. Literally, falling asleep while trying to catch up on all the threads I wanted to read:

Sleep 15min, wake-up try to read and in 6 minutes tops I'm back asleep. Rinse, repeat.

I'm AWAKE now! I swear!
At least swapping out the transistors would be a doddle compared to swapping the diodes!

Wait. Wait. Wait.
I feel my incoherent rambling may have confused everyone here...
Again.
The video is a diode swap.
The Malekko Ge version is a Q2 Q3 swap, *I think*
That's off memory, which isn't always trustworthy these days.
It's our there on the interwebs though. TGP or FSB
Haha no worries mate, confusion happens (y)

At least swapping out the transistors would be a doddle compared to swapping the diodes!
Diodes can be done with a 4PDT. It would just be a pain in the rear because it would involve stitching multiple diodes together at single point. It would truly be the most disgusting toggle switch in the world. I'm considering drawing up the schematics for a breakout board lol

Diodes can be done with a 4PDT. It would just be a pain in the rear because it would involve stitching multiple diodes together at single point. It would truly be the most disgusting toggle switch in the world. I'm considering drawing up the schematics for a breakout board lol
I'd definitely be interested to see it.
Seems to be too many nodes for a 4 pole to me.
Screenshot_20231030-234117-167.png
They're a bridge rectifier config. My understanding is this is where/how the harmonics are (crudely) generated.
The AC guitar is rectified to DC, the internodulated distortion creates the harmonics and the DC is then blocked by the transformer.
Matching the diodes creates a better harmonic, iirc. But, switching out D3 and D2 simultaneously could be interesting. Wonder what would happen if you doubled the diodes in two positions? May be able to get some weird saw wave effects with correct mismatching, if the bits of EE that are rattling around up there are tickling my neurons correctly.

I'd definitely be interested to see it.
Seems to be too many nodes for a 4 pole to me.
There are really only 4. The cathode of D4 and the anode of D3 are tied together. The Fuzz Dog schematic chooses to lay them out like that because that's what it looks like on the PCB. Compare that to the GGG schematic which shows the full bridge rectifier as you might see in an EE textbook.

Still a a nightmare to do if you choose to wire it all together off board on a toggle switch 😂😂😂

Back