Broken Socket

DeadAirMD

Well........even the product says that it will never break......lies. I just finished building the Marigold Fuzz (absolutely LOVE it!) and was testing out some diodes.....as in lightly pushing in the pins and gently removing them, I mean, they are made out of glass.

Well, I noticed a pin wasn't going in and that's when I noticed the socket had broke. The pin is wedged in the pcb and it's not coming out. I tried using my soldering iron but no luck. Also tried heating from the other end and tried pushing it through with a pin, it's literally 100% stuck. How do I get this little bastard out of here?!?!? Do I drill it out?

Attachments

• IMG_20230407_181517875_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230407_181517875_HDR.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20230407-193108~3.png
    Screenshot_20230407-193108~3.png
    589.7 KB · Views: 60
How do I get this little bastard out of here?!?!? Do I drill it out?
Please don't "drill it out", you could damage the pad.

It wouldn't be critical if you destroy the pad, you'd just have to use a jumper to restore manually the connection, according to schematics.

Just add a bit of solder on the pad and try to use your desoldering pump again, or try to push it with a pin or an led's leg. The extra solder should help to get the socket easier to remove.

Are you getting good heat on that pin? Do you have a solder sucker or some desoldering braid?

I’d try to blob a bit of solder on that pin and see if you can then heat it up and then get it out of there.

Please don't "drill it out", you could damage the pad.

It wouldn't be critical if you destroy the pad, you'd just have to use a jumper to the restore manually the connection, according to schematics.

Just add a bit of solder on the pad and try to use your desoldering pump again, or try to push it with a pin or an led's leg. The extra solder should help to get the socket easier to remove.
Hahaha. Great minds

Agree with the previous posts ab the extra bit of solder, but I would try and push it back out the way it went in, not through, so you don’t lift a trace.

Well........even the product says that it will never break......lies. I just finished building the Marigold Fuzz (absolutely LOVE it!) and was testing out some diodes.....as in lightly pushing in the pins and gently removing them, I mean, they are made out of glass.

Well, I noticed a pin wasn't going in and that's when I noticed the socket had broke. The pin is wedged in the pcb and it's not coming out. I tried using my soldering iron but no luck. Also tried heating from the other end and tried pushing it through with a pin, it's literally 100% stuck. How do I get this little bastard out of here?!?!? Do I drill it out?
Put some solder back on the pad & get a Dressmaker type pin with the plastic ball on the top.
While the pad is still molten solder, stick the pin through & wiggle in a circular motion til the solder cools & you should have a nice little hole.
Check for excess solder from under neath that may have splashed!

I'll give the added solder thing a go. I've cleared out plenty of components but this is a different beast, it's totally stuck. Always been able to use a plyers and pull a leg through or desolder pump to clear out a pad. It is literally plugged with nothing to grab on either side. Heating it and pushing it doesn't even make it budge. Such a bummer, I was having so much fun with this circuit.

I'll give the added solder thing a go. I've cleared out plenty of components but this is a different beast, it's totally stuck. Always been able to use a plyers and pull a leg through or desolder pump to clear out a pad. It is literally plugged with nothing to grab on either side. Heating it and pushing it doesn't even make it budge. Such a bummer, I was having so much fun with this circuit.
Worse case scenario is a positive one, that pin goes to Ground so no traces to worry about damaging the rest of the circuit!
If it was me , I would remove the plastic around the socket & pin and solder socket directly to top of existing pad.
Check to see if it is still going to Ground!?

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that. If I can't get the nub out with more solder, I may just try soldering on top of it. If the pedal is shit because of this, mise well experiment.

I'm still dumbfounded as to how the hell the socket pin snapped off.

Well unfortunately I had to find that out the hard way. Sockets are great for me because I like to clip down the excess after soldering. I guess I can always solder new legs onto components to extend them again for use on another pcb. Lesson kinda learned.

It worked, got it out. Adding more solder and using a pin to push it back through the end I put it in worked. Took a while to get it out, so didn't have time to test it to make sure it still works. Will be soldering the 1n695 germanium diode I liked best after testing a ton of different diodes.

Really appreciate all of the advice a ton. Just joined this forum and it's been an invaluable resource and a very positive judgement free place.

Last edited:
Well ........put everything back together and it didn't work. Used my probe and it came back to the OC140. Replaced that with another transistor and it works. Tested the OC and it came back at 0. I'm baffled as to how this got fried. When the socket broke, the pedal stopped working, but worked fine when I was in between testing diodes. Glad I got the pedal to work but somehow the OC140 fried and $16 down the drain.

Back