Calamity Fuzz jfet bias.

kizzer

Hi there

Does anyone have the optimum drain voltages for Q1 and Q2?

I take it the bias resistors are 16k for Q1 and 33k for Q2.

Cheers for your help
Kieran

I just fixed a Calamity for a friend. Once I got the right J201s in there, Q1's Vd was about 4V, Q2's Vd was 0.5V. Not every J201 will work unless you feel like mucking about with the drain resistors. That circuit is very picky about JFETs. You need ones with a very low Vp, like -0.2V or so. Fairfield must have to hand-pick the ones they put in their production pedals.

I had better results with smd j201 than the regular genuine ones. Like Chuck said you should use lower spec j201, around .2v.

I just fixed a Calamity for a friend. Once I got the right J201s in there, Q1's Vd was about 4V, Q2's Vd was 0.5V. Not every J201 will work unless you feel like mucking about with the drain resistors. That circuit is very picky about JFETs. You need ones with a very low Vp, like -0.2V or so. Fairfield must have to hand-pick the ones they put in their production pedals.
Yes, they do (from what I remember my friend who works there telling me about the Barbershop, that's why I replaced the 2 bias resistors with trimpot on my Chop Shop build).

I have a Calamity Fuzz waiting to be build. I also have about 20 PedalPCB MMBFJ201 arriving this week but I don't know how to test drain voltage on these at all.

I'm a total ignorant in electronics (even after more than 15 PedalPCB built, kudo to our leader for that!). Just check my signature. ;)

I have this multimeter but never use one:
1600726466738.png

Any tip, trick, link? I tried YouTube without success (got cars battery checks mainly...)

Thanks i advance.

Hi there

You'll be testing a 9V circuit, so set the Multimeter to the nearest higher value, which looks to be 20V on your Multimeter.

I used the SMD J201's on my build, had to solder them to the adaptors myself, bit of a pain!!! First of all I would suggest (if you don't already) using SIPP sockets, so you can change transistors if need be. And along the same lines socket the R4 resistor, this is the 16K resistor and this is on the drain of Q1.

With the circuit together measure the input voltage to the circuit with your multimeter. Touch a Ground Pad or Grounded point with the Black probe and touch the V+ pad of the circuit with the Red Probe. In my case I had 9.27V. I always start unless specified otherwise to bias the drain at half the input voltage, which for me was around 4.6V.

The J201 adaptor is marked DSG for Drain,Gate and Source. So with your Black probe touching Ground, touch D (Drain) with your Red probe to give you your reading. In my case it was at 3.62V with the 16k resistor, so I needed to lower the resistor value. 13K got me 4.65V, which sounds great.

I've tried J201s from three different sources, some through-hole and some SMD, and I can't find any with Vp that low. The best I can find are around -0.7V. Is this just a non-starter and I need to keep looking, or is there something else I can do?

Unfortunately, there is nothing else you can do short of changing resistor values. If you do that, then it won't sound like a Calamity any more.

If you are set on building an authentic Calamity, then you'll have to keep buying and testing J201s. The good news that any legit J201s you buy are not scrap, they can be used in other pedals.

Unfortunately, there is nothing else you can do short of changing resistor values. If you do that, then it won't sound like a Calamity any more.

If you are set on building an authentic Calamity, then you'll have to keep buying and testing J201s. The good news that any legit J201s you buy are not scrap, they can be used in other pedals.
Thanks. I'll keep looking.

Back