Canadians ordering from Tayda, what shipping service do you use?

WheatAndBarley

I've been using DHL for shipping due to the speed but I've found lately the import fees are creeping up in price. I've also found they scale weirdly, I had a large order net me almost a hundred in import fees with DHL but when I split it into two shipments on subsequent orders I ended up paying less overall even after paying for two shipping charges. DHL is like $15 US usually, Fedex seems to be like $13, and then UPS always shows up as about $65 for shipping, and then DHL will charge me about $30-40 on a $100-150 parts order. For my fellow Canadians, do you find Fedex or UPS charges less?

I've been using DHL for shipping due to the speed but I've found lately the import fees are creeping up in price. I've also found they scale weirdly, I had a large order net me almost a hundred in import fees with DHL but when I split it into two shipments on subsequent orders I ended up paying less overall even after paying for two shipping charges. DHL is like $15 US usually, Fedex seems to be like $13, and then UPS always shows up as about $65 for shipping, and then DHL will charge me about $30-40 on a $100-150 parts order. For my fellow Canadians, do you find Fedex or UPS charges less?
I break up orders and get it all via Thailand Post. Works great for my purposes.

I never, under any circumstances, us UPS for international shipping. Ever. From any vendor.

Ever. Lol.

Watching this with interest as im just about to place a big order with them. Mainly componenst so it shouldnt be too heavy but I have soem enclosures with them too so I may put them in a seperate order. No mater what we always seem to get shafted! even getting things from the states.

Watching this with interest as im just about to place a big order with them. Mainly componenst so it shouldnt be too heavy but I have soem enclosures with them too so I may put them in a seperate order. No mater what we always seem to get shafted! even getting things from the states.

Yup

I order special powdercoat drops from LMS for giggles. But I get almost all my “meat & potatoes” enclosures and 3PDTs from Nextgen. They’re near Ottawa and I’m in Toronto. I often get my orders next day via Canada Post. I would order more direct from Gorva since they’re Canadian, but the bloody shipping from BC is brutal for enclosures. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi @Laundryroom David, I hear you!! I have used next gen a few times and even visited them last time I was in town. They do carry a lot which can be handy if I need things quickly.
I have used Gorva as I like their stuff but it needs to be a big order as their shipping is brutal thats for sure.
Small orders from BLMS and Stompbox have been ok recently. Mouser is good too as its free over $100 and super quick too. So resisitors etc I get in bulk from them.

I mainly go with thailand post, but am ready to wait... really wait.
But my experiences with DHL (ordering from big european bike part store) is that they will hit you you almost 50% overcharges for taxes, duties and other fes.
I tried FedEx, and will get around 25$ in fees to pay over a 70$ order.

So to me, thailand post is the less expensive, and even if canada post select your package for inspection, taxes should be low.

My last order made it here in about 10 days, but it was not a big one. Pot covers, diodes, film and electro caps, pin headers, voltage regulators, a couple mini toggles. Several hundred components but nothing large or heavy by any means.
Is that the time between when you order and when it arrives or is that just the shipping time?

I am thinking about trying to get things from other places. I don't mind spending a few bucks extra for components from Digikey since I live like just across the border from their warehouse so I can get things next day. The problem is hardware, tayda is still the cheapest place to get enclosures pre/custom drilled, pots, and knobs.

Is that the time between when you order and when it arrives or is that just the shipping time?

I am thinking about trying to get things from other places. I don't mind spending a few bucks extra for components from Digikey since I live like just across the border from their warehouse so I can get things next day. The problem is hardware, tayda is still the cheapest place to get enclosures pre/custom drilled, pots, and knobs.
Sorry, just the actual shipping time.

This has been discussed before, and not much has changed.

Basically the consensus was that DHL has cheap rates and fast shipping up front but will then gouge you on the brokerage fees.

Same goes for UPS gouging on brokerage fees.

Honestly, the Tax and Duty is negligible, and I don't mind paying it anymore — I, however, DO mind being #$%^&* up the asterisk asterisk asterisk by greedy UPS and DHL.

POST is the only way to go, IMO, regardless of the size of the order and the duty and tax have not been worth avoiding by breaking larger orders into smaller ones as the shipping will likely be more than a one-time duty/tax fee.

Of course, I'm willing to wait for stuff to arrive. If you've got any sort of time-line constraints, then go ahead, pay the leeches UPS or DHL.

I totally agree @Feral Feline, I dont mind paying for service but getting royally shafted by them for absolutly no reason is beyond me.

Im going to try my next order and see how it goes. I will split it into a couple of smaller ones I think. I dont get too much time at home so do knid of need it to arriver quicker than usual post.

My last order took almost a month to arrive at my door. But it's almost the same as my ppcb order using usps.

When did you order it?

Delivery times vary dependent on Thailand's holiday schedule — many westerners forget things such as the Water Festival and other longer Thai stat-holidays.

Ordered October 10th, containing 1 painted enclosure (undrilled, no printing) and a bunch of components.
Shipped on the 12th.
I've received it a week ago, on the 3rd or 4th of November. So almost 4 weeks total.

In comparison, my PPCB order took 23 days

same experience here. Always use the post option as added fees have been crazy in the past. In my experience, it’s an average of 3 weeks to get it once it’s shipped.

This has been discussed before, and not much has changed.

Basically the consensus was that DHL has cheap rates and fast shipping up front but will then gouge you on the brokerage fees.

Same goes for UPS gouging on brokerage fees.

Honestly, the Tax and Duty is negligible, and I don't mind paying it anymore — I, however, DO mind being #$%^&* up the asterisk asterisk asterisk by greedy UPS and DHL.

POST is the only way to go, IMO, regardless of the size of the order and the duty and tax have not been worth avoiding by breaking larger orders into smaller ones as the shipping will likely be more than a one-time duty/tax fee.

Of course, I'm willing to wait for stuff to arrive. If you've got any sort of time-line constraints, then go ahead, pay the leeches UPS or DHL.
Agree 100%. No issue with duty and taxes (how Canadian, eh?) but the G-D brokerage fees are a ripoff. I tried getting UPS to hold off and let me do my own customs clearance and they totally ignored me. Assholes. So, I am content to wait but I also don’t have deadlines for builds or anything so I’m fortunate that way. Credit where credit is due, I did use UPS previously with Mouser’s prepaid option and that worked fine. I also have used SBP since they started prepaid customs shipping with USPS and I don’t mind the certainty one bit. But even when I order from Mouser, I pick FedEx just out of spite towards UPS. 😂

Okay, so Nic's order shipped on Oct 12, before the Oct 13 King Bhumibol holiday making Friday the 14th a holiday (where it would just sit, unmoving, even if it's in the pipeline) and then another day lost on Oct 24th Chulalongkom Memorial Day, a Sunday making the next day a stat holiday — no other holidays before its arrival early November. That's still only two-ish days extra wait time, but for an average of 3 weeks noted by SYLV9ST9R... two-ish days making a couple long-weekend holidays... another week isn't too bad. I guess. Maybe.

It leaves Tayda quite fast in my opinion, or at least the order is ready and I expect it to take around 3 weeks. Almost certain on october 24th it was under a pile of packages waiting to enter the country. Like I said, shipment from US take as much time.

Back