Carbon Summit (Animals Diamond Peak Overdrive - CB Mod)

Brett

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
The Carbon Summit Overdrive

Where it came from...

As previously stated, If you're unfamiliar with our resident circuit guru, @Chuck D. Bones, you're missing out. His forum sub-section contains a wealth of information and some very tastefully thought-out circuits/mods. The Carbon Summit is my rendition of his Animals Diamond Peak Overdrive (CB Mods). See the original Chucks Boneyard post here. This build is based on his circuit revision 1.4.1 (schematic attached).

What is it...
This circuit was originally designed by Animals Pedal in collaboration with Marc Ahlfs of Skreddy Pedals as an overdrive that’s just on the edge of distortion while retaining note clarity and attack, in the vein of the famous plexiglass panel UK made amps. Chuck expanded upon the original circuit by adding a separate bass control, increasing the treble control range, and reconfiguring Q1’s bias network. I'm told (by Chuck) that the lovely forumite that suggested modding this one in the first place was @HamishR, I've gotta say THANKS to both of you, this one's a keeper!

Modifications...
Although it's not Chuck's preferred method of biasing transistors (he liked fixed resistors), I used trim pots in series with resistors to set the bias voltages on Q1 and Q3. On Q1, I went with a SMD MMBF4393 JFET because they're readily available, however, I subbed on Q2 and Q3. Chuck's original schematic calls for 2N2221 NPNs for Q2 and Q3, however, I ended up using 2N3903s in those spots. Each transistor tested at roughly 114 hFE on my GM328A transistor tester. Everything biased at the voltages that are specified in the original schematic and worked out!

Sounds
Absolutely killer for touch-responsive grit. Think of how the Boss BD-2 responds to pick attack, now make it sound good, like really good. Don't get me wrong, the BD-2 isn't terrible, especially with some tweaks to remove the harsh note decay, but the Carbon Summit is easier to get great sounds out of and the note decay sounds natural. Chuck did an outstanding job on the EQ with this one, having bass control increases flexibility between different guitars/pickups and the treble range feels well-defined and tuned just right. I think I've found my new favorite circuit when it comes to touch-sensitive, light overdrive.

Enclosure
Candy Red Metallic 125B from Tayda. Tayda handled the UV printing as well (double white, gloss varnish).

Circuit Board(s)
I designed both the main circuit board and the board you see at the top for I/O. The Soft-Touch Relay True-Bypass is a modified version of Chuck's Simple Relay Bypass that accepts up to 24V input and has isolated LED SW points for compatibility with other circuits. All components, sans jacks, CLR, LED, and pads are SMD on the Soft-Touch Bypass I/O board.

IMG_1699.jpg
IMG_1700.jpg IMG_1698.jpg IMG_1701.jpg IMG_1696.jpg

I rated this build at 5 stars, but I may be a little biased...

Thank you @Chuck D. Bones for all your contributions to the community! Thank you @HamishR for suggesting this one to Chuck!

Attachments

• 1713906233040.png
    1713906233040.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 22
Looks better than most boutique pedals. Just beautiful.

And thanks for the kind words. Those of us doing mods on these forums are striving to achieve the tones that we like. When someone else appreciates it too, that's icing on the cake.

Finally, hats off to the pedal builders who inspire us: Marc Ahlfs, Bjorn Juhl, Brian Wampler, Peter Rutter, Roger Mayer...

Back