Chauffeur Overdrive (Shnobel Tone Daily Driver Overdrive)

Hirti

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I kinda built this one by accident. I wanted to order a 1590XX enclosure + UV print for the Parentheses Fuzz but I accidentally ordered both for a 1590BB enclosure. 😂 Since Tayda orders are final I had to think quickly about which 1590BB projects I am interested in the future for which I could come up with a quick design for a black sand enclosure. The Shnobel Tone Daily Driver Overdrive was always interesting to me, probably because I really liked its slick design and because it uses these huge MXR knobs (my favorite knobs). I came up with the design in 10 minutes, it's nothing very creative but I think it works really well and it also has a bit of a nod to the original. Once again I used a 10mm led like I did for my Ocatrock pedal. I think these work really well on the larger enclosures.

So how does it sound? Really, REALLY good. :love: To be fully honest, my go to overdrive pedal the last couple of months was a Boss OD-3 and the Chauffeur doesn't sound THAT different than the OD-3. But there is just something about how it reacts to what I play that inspires me. The last two weeks I was excited every day to come home from work and play this thing and that hasn't happened in a while with a overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedal. Sounds way better than your typical King Of Tone etc. (at least to my ears). The two tone knobs have a nice range and the effect the High-cut has is quite drastic. Very versatile pedal that can even go to high gain when the gain knob is cranked. 🤘 There's also the Courier Overdrive project which is a Daily Driver with more gain and more mid range that I might build soon too.

This project uses some funny parts like 12K4 / 576K resistors or four 2.5V zener diodes (or five RC4558s for an overdrive lol). I couldn't find 2.5V diodes so I just used 2.4V. Probably sounds slightly different than it's supposed to but I like how it sounds. 🤷‍♂️ It did not power up at first because I used a 2N4401 for Q102 (Q100/Q101 are 2N4401) but it's supposed to be a 2N4403 which is PNP while the other two are NPN. I've also never seen transistors being used like that in the power supply part of a circuit. Can anyone explain what they are doing?

What also should be mentioned is that @Robert posted about Roman from Shnobel Tone updated some values and sent them to Robert. I used the new values for my build.

The updated values are as following:
C2 - OMIT
C9 - 22n
C10 - 10n
C16 - 1n
R8 - 10K
R13- 100R

IMG_2314.JPEG

IMG_2316.JPEG

Last edited:
Great build.

I'm a bit puzzled by the schematic of this design. Apart from a shitload of buffering going on there, what's the point of C20/21/22 in series at the output? Wouldn't one big value film cap be just fine with no audible difference or what? Maybe even sounding better than two electrolytics in a row in signal path?

Back